Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Sorry for the multiple questions, but seems everything apple in my apartmnt is falling apart...

If you're a vigorous 10K A DAY/7days/week/etc runner (and i mean professionally fast), how long do these ipods last? My 40gig model won't run or restart and it's been 5 months since this model itself had replaced a previously burntout model at Christmas time. The only time I am thankful for Best Buy warranties!

BTW, it's my roommate who uses it. A lot. I'm the lazy one with the stooped posture.

ecblues

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Since the iPod is a hard drive based player, excessive running with it is kind of asking for trouble, unfortunately. For running a Shuffle will last a lot longer since it's flash based (solid state), with no moving parts that can lead to data loss... My 3rd Gen 10 Gig is like a year and a half old, going strong, but I rarely run with it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm, as far as the shuffle is concerned, I heard bad reports about water / sweat intrusion through the seams. There was a thread here about that. If that has been resolved, then, agreed, it's a great thing.

There are a lot of people here who run with iPods, though, albeit maybe not at professional speeds. I know I am one of them, in both regards (running and not at professional speeds). :D

I haven't been using my iPod this way long enough to be really insightful about longevity, but I know that I have used it over the past year with typical training weeks in the 35-60 mile range, without issues. I have also finished a marathon with it. The way you use it impacts this a lot -- I hold it in my hand, and I find that it has never really skipped as a result of running. Other ways of holding it might cause more vibrations. When I ran the marathon, it got so much salt and grime on it from my hand that the buttons were hard to use, but when I cleaned it off, it was as good as new. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.