iPod Lightning Port + Salt

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Luke5s, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Luke5s, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

Luke5s macrumors newbie

Luke5s

I'm really worried. I was at the beach yesterday with my aunt, and we were walking by the water. She turned around and bumped into me, (and me with my jelly fingers) I got scared and accidentally dropped my iPod Touch. I immediately took it out and dried it. When I got home I put it in a bowl of rice, hoping to fix anything wet inside. I took it out today and noticed salt inside the charging port. I tried to blow it out but it was still stuck. I read online that I should immediately turn it off and rinse it with fresh water. (It was turned off since I dropped it.) I rinsed it well, and dried it with a blow drier on cool air. I'm going to put it in rice again for the night. Did I do anything wrong? Any suggestions? I'm on vacation in Romania and I don't really wanna get it fixed here, nor do they even have apple stores nearby where I'm staying. Please help. Thanks. :apple:
    ---------
    Ok now I took it out of the rice again, and everything seems to be working fine except the headphone port. I powered it on, tried to play some music, and it's only working via headphone. I looked to see if something is lodged in the headphone port and I don't see anything. I went to settings and played the ringtone and sound came out of the speakers. I went to text tone and nothing. Weird. Later something popped up saying "this headphone accessory is not comparable with your device." It's still not playing music through the speakers.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, you dropped in the water.

If the dunk in the ocean didn't kill it. The fresh water bath did.

3. Luke5s, Jun 17, 2014

Luke5s thread starter macrumors newbie

Luke5s

The salt corrodes the inside of the ports. That leads to so many issues. I read that if I rinsed it with regular water and dried well, it should help.

Edit: and it's not dead. I'm just worried that some damage will happen because of the salt. It does turn on, I'm just waiting until I'm completely sure it's dry to turn it back on and charge.

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

iPod Lightning Port + Salt

Shouldn't have dropped it in water. There's your problem.

5. Luke5s, Jun 17, 2014

Luke5s thread starter macrumors newbie

Luke5s

Maybe I shouldn't have been born super cautious and clumsy. Maybe you shouldn't be so rude.

Edit: Also, this thread is a question on what I can do, it's not for you to tell me what I did wrong.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole

Accidents are by chance. Rudeness is deliberate.

Hope your device suffers no ill effects.

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I think if anything that 2nd dose of water is what did your iPod in. I know salt corrodes, however by that time, whatever damage was done was done. Take it to Apple, have them look at it, maybe they will help you and not charge a thing. However, they can always charge the out of warranty repair cost, unless you have AppleCare+, then its a detectable of $50-$80 depending on when you bought the plan.

Otherwise your other 2 options are:

Replace it with a brand new one.

Deal with the damage.

Nothing else can be done to fix it, it seems you have tried everything. Use a Bluetooth headset or replace it.