Ipod line overhaul (itouch nano with retina)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pogoh, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Pogoh macrumors newbie

This is a wild idea but hear me out. Current thinking is that apple will bring its retina display to the next revision of the ipod touch. This means double the pixels and new line of apps to support this. Thats fine and dandy.

The retina display runs twice the number of pixels on the same size screen. But what happens when you half the size of the screen, say of the size of an ipod nano, would that mean the retina display could display the "old" apps that were written for the older hardware in their native resolution just half the size of say the 3GS. Run some basic iOS4 functions and bob's your mother's brother.

new consolidated ipod line:
    Stop the classic
    Turn the new nano into a shrunken iTouch with the retina on half size
    New iTouch with retina running double that and double capacity upwards

shuffle->nano->itouch->iphone

bish bash bosh.

2. Biker macrumors regular

3. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Apple will not put a Retina display on a Nano, because if the current Retina display which is only on the iPhone 4, shrunk by half it wouldn't be a retina display. Plus, the iPod Touch will not have 128GB, probably for some time, give it probably another year or two when the iPhone has 64GB storage. I can possibly see the Classic being discontinued this September iPod refresh, but it could possibly be revamped with a more rounded unibody design and 250GB and possible bigger display at the same price of $249.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Why would they make a miniature ipod touch? That makes no sense. And on a 1.5 inch screen like the nano it would make no sense.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

First of all, it has 4 Times the Amount of Pixels, not just twice, If you half the screen you'll still have a better quality than the old screen, but it will be very tiny, if you cut it in 4, you won't be able to see more than a dot for an app icon, if your iPod if more than 5" away from your retina :)

also, an iPod Touch Nano would be odd to touch in not a lot of space without a stylus, i don't see it my friend, the actual iPod Nano Click-wheel is more useful for the people that buy the iPod nano, which use if in the gym where they don't want to have to look at the screen to stop or play music
    It doesn't have a market