ipod/mac problems-need help as fast as possible

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drewsy1, Jun 28, 2009.

1. drewsy1 macrumors newbie

my aunt recently bought a 6g 120gb iPod Classic. i was helping her sync it on her iMac (leopard OS). have the latest edition of itunes, but as i was ripping music from cd's, it suddenly said that i didn't have permission to save in the itunes music directory. i found out how to apply the 'Read & Write' permission to all subdirectories, and proceeded to do so on the 'Macintosh HD' drive. later, when trying to connect the ipod, its desktop icon only showed an external harddrive icon with a padlock symbol in the lower left corner. ipod also did not appear in itunes. why is it doing this?! Please help quickly!!!:confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Maybe this will help

Really hard to read your post :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. drewsy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry if there was confusion on my part. the padlock was on the desktop icon, not the ipod properties page. will try all troubleshooting tips listed, but i think that's the wrong thing. the ipod doesn't even come up in itunes

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

It sounds like you screwed up the permissions on your HD, which leads to all kinds of messy problems. Fooling around with permissions via terminal and sudo is a good way to trash the disk.

5. drewsy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

any way to fix this? will this mess with anything else

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes you can recover by booting the OSX install/recover disk and using Disk Utility to repair permissions. It won't disturb any data

7. drewsy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you so much. my aunt should still have all her documentation and discs. i'll do that. after fixing, would it still be okay to put the same permissions on the itunes folder? would that mess it up again?