iPod Mac/XP questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GStreakT, Dec 10, 2007.

1. GStreakT macrumors member

Hello, hello! I have been searching an answer to my question on the internet but the answers I found didn't seem as clear cut.

I just bought a 30 GB Black iPod Video G5.5 as a birthday present for my dad. While I know this isn't the newest model, I heard that it boots faster and the sound quality is better. My dad doesn't really have all that a mega-music collection so this seemed ideal. I have been trying to get my parents to switch over to a mac. The PC we have back home is well over 5 years old and the monitor is only like 10 inches wide, lol. This matter is still pending. Seeing that I just bought a MacBook Pro for university my parents are hesitant but really they need a desperate upgrade and they know it.

My question is if music is loaded on an ipod from a Windows XP, will it continue to work on a Mac (of course I'll have to download iTunes for both platforms). This is just in case they do settle for an iMac or so. Also, I might give my dad my 2nd gen Nano (he likes both these ipods), but the nano already has my music which I fed into it on a Mac platform. Will it work if I reset it into a factory state and start uploading music on a XP?

Many thanks! Sorry if this appears confusing.

2. walnuts macrumors 6502

Windows-formatted ipods will work on Macs nearly seamlessly, though they cannot be updated (no software updates). You can manually manage you music and put music on and delete music from both windows and macs simultaneously.

Mac-formatted ipods ONLY WORK WITH MACS. It sucks, but it's true. You cannot do anything with a Mac-formatted ipod on a windows computer

Oh and also, you can always from either platform wipe an ipod clean and reformat it to the current platform. (I.e. you can take that mac-formatted ipod on a windows pc and wipe it clean and reformat it to windows.)

3. GStreakT thread starter macrumors member