ipod mini 2nd gen vs. new nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fmagnet, Feb 23, 2008.

1. fmagnet macrumors newbie

I have a refurbed ipod mini 2nd gen. 4g. Was wondering if anyone knows if the battery life is better on the new 4g nano's? Should I purchase or just stick with the mini?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple claims 24 hours battery life on the new nanos so its a significant upgrade form the mini. You can never have too many iPods. :D

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The battery life is better on the new Nano I personally would stick with your Mini the New Nanos are Ugly or get 2nd gen Nano

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

My friend gets around 22hours of battery life on his black 3g 8gb iPod Nano.
    I would suggest you upgrade, they are pretty sweet.:)

5. bloodycape macrumors 65816

With the Mini you can get more audio and SQ support(via 3rd party firmware), but no video. The Mini can be upgraded to give you 30% more battery out of a larger battery for only $20. Not to mention the Mini at this point and time can go up 32gb of space(swapping out the microhd drive to a cf drive), and even higher once 48gb, 64gb, and 128gb cards come out for the consumer. Plus, I have been told because of the mini's size it is more durable than the Nano.

All you have to decide is do you want/need the video and photo support of the Nano.

6. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my 2nd gen mini to 16GB after the new nanos came out without a size bump. I'm very happy now that I can carry all my music with me.

Greg

7. Simicino macrumors newbie

Yeah, this is a very cool option, especially with Rockbox. Some people are now even installing 32gig flash chips in the old Mini.

8. ruZZ.il macrumors member

I've even de-soldered the gastly little line out dock capacitors and re-routed the signal to unused dock pins, then I built a custom line out dock cable with MUCH better caps in it. my mini sounds SWEET. increased detail and clarity, better seperation. I also use a portable amp so its really incomparable to the 3g nano, which we haven't figured out how to mod yet (can still be used with a line out dock and an amp though). The 1g nano mod is easy too.
    (Well, if you can do SMD soldering).
    A modded mini with an amp will sound better than a 3g nano with an amp.

More info here
    -Disclaimer: try at your own risk!

Teaser: These sound better than yours do! nya nya nya! :D

for anyone willing to come over to the dark side (amped), welcome! and sorry bout your wallet. at-least is sounds better here :cool:

(hides)

9. macbattle macrumors member

10. macbattle macrumors member

11. ruZZ.il macrumors member