Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eagle-eyed MacRumors reader Tony today noticed the iPod mini has made a nostalgic reappearance on Apple's website in Singapore.

ipod-mini-2005.jpg

Apple's online store says the iPod mini models are available to ship in 2-3 weeks, but we strongly advise against ordering. Apple discontinued the iPod mini over 12 years ago, and the product pages have an outdated design when accessed from a desktop browser, so this is certainly a glitch that will soon be corrected.

For now, the colors listed include Blue, Green, Pink, and Silver, with 4GB or 6GB of storage, indicating these are second-generation models released in February 2005. It was enough space for up to 1,500 songs in your pocket.

ipod-mini-6gb-singapore.jpg

In September 2005, Apple discontinued the iPod mini after introducing the iPod nano, which itself was discontinued alongside the iPod shuffle yesterday. The internet-connected iPod touch is now the only product Apple sells under its iconic iPod brand, effectively marking the end of an era for the company.

Update: Apple removed the iPod mini listings from its online store a few hours after this article was published.

Article Link: iPod Mini Briefly Appears on Apple's Online Store [Updated]

Reactions: GubbyMan

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
"Apple's online store says the iPod mini models are available to ship in 2-3 weeks, but we strongly advise against ordering. Apple discontinued the iPod mini over 12 years ago," :- Macrumors Quote
-----------------------
I don't think anyone is going to order a 6GB iPod mini for $892 in 2017 :D

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
"Apple's online store says the iPod mini models are available to ship in 2-3 weeks, but we strongly advise against ordering. Apple discontinued the iPod mini over 12 years ago," :- Macrumors Quote
-----------------------
I don't think anyone is going to order a 6GB iPod mini for $892 in 2017 :D
Looks like I had 2 in my cart! And that's in Singapore dollars. Works out to about $325 USD.

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
That's so weird that it's possible an over decade old product can show up online. Crazy though, especially the day after they discontinued normal iPods.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
iPod mini was my favorite iPod ever. The colors, the thick but little body. Just a beautiful gadget.
Certainly my favourite iPod, still have mine and it still works. That Apple had the tenacity to kill and replace it at the height of its popularity says much about the risks they were willing to take those days that they don't take any more.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The second iPod I purchased was a pink iPod Mini. It was a decent little device. I like the case of it a lot better than my iPod Photo. I am not sure what happened to it, as my ex-wife took it after we divorced. Maybe I might see if she still has it.

It did, in the shape of the 5C. Presumably not enough people bought them to repeat that experiment.
That's right, but the 5c was also plastic and the iPod Mini was anodized aluminum. Maybe if the 5c was not plastic, it would have sold more.

Reactions: lostczech

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's so weird that it's possible an over decade old product can show up online. Crazy though, especially the day after they discontinued normal iPods.

Apple was trying to troll us. They are known to do that from time to time. But still, for being a decade old, the iPod mini has not lost its luster and The design does not look entirely antiquated to me.

Vorkeyjones

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2016
My favourite iPod models

iPod mini
iPod nano (1st gen)
iPod (5th gen)

I really do miss the iPod era. :(

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You know... I've only just noticed that the top bar and menu design language on the iPods are not that different to what we have on iOS now.

The iPod Mini was cute (and still is!). I remember when I started seeing people with them in high school. I was pretty happy with my 3rd gen classic though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.