Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The second iPod I purchased was a pink iPod Mini. It was a decent little device. I like the case of it a lot better than my iPod Photo. I am not sure what happened to it, as my ex-wife took it after we divorced. Maybe I might see if she still has it.

That's right, but the 5c was also plastic and the iPod Mini was anodized aluminum. Maybe if the 5c was not plastic, it would have sold more.

ah ah ah.... wait up... love my silky smooth green 5c, still use it like a glorified iPod touch.

but i liked the minis too. i have one silver and one pink one left, they are in speaker docks upstairs and I let them play whenever I'm in those spare rooms, a few times a week usually. No clue if the batts are any good since they never get a chance to run off them.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
In an era where focus, was truly in Apple's DNA.
The iPods did one thing, and one thing really well.

Today, we have devices (not singling out Apple), that do so much in the palm of your hand.
Sometimes I wonder if that has been a detriment to much of society. Always available access mean greater demands, and usually amounting to less family/leisure time.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I had the first gen Nano and it was my favorite device other than my iPhone. Tiny, durable, and functional while inside of my pocket.

Here's to hoping the glitch was some foreshadowing of the rebirth of a music only Apple device at a low cost. Or maybe even an iPod touch Mini (but then again, that thing is already plenty small)

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
This was my first Apple product. It still works, though the battery is terribly degraded and it's rendered totally obsolete by my phone.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Got a lovely little nostalgia buzz there!

The iPod 3G was the first Apple product I bought, rapidly followed by a PowerBook and the iPod replaced with a mini. Going from 15gb to 6gb (maybe 4?) was dreadful and meant juggling music and predicting what I wanted to listen to. How times have changed eh.

Sold the Mini for a ridiculously cheap price on eBay. Wish I had kept it! Recently tidied up my iPod 3G with flash storage, new battery, polished case and it's wonderful still. Be so nice if Apple ran short lived reproductions of their iconic devices.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
If youre selling SGD at that rate, i’d buy all you have. The exchange rate is actually about 1.362 SGD:USD.

umm, that's roughly the exchange rate he's alluding to. $325 x 1.362 is within a couple of Singaporean dollars of the price shown in the screenshot.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
The best iPod EVER was the iPod Nano 5G. The long elegant design (easy to hold), click wheel, HEADPHONE JACK (sorry just had to get that dig in) with the embedded camera (photos and movies). At the time I was in the market and wrongly assumed the 6G would increase the memory from 16GB to 32GB. So I waited. Sadly, the iPod Nano 6G was a "fatty" (hard to hold), touch screen in lieu of click wheel (what a HUGE mistake since the screen was so tiny and the click wheel was so ergonomically perfect), and they also dropped the camera (seen as competition for iPhone) and kept memory at 16GB. Apple gutted their own product. It went from a Cadillac to a skateboard in order to allow the iPhone to "breathe" without internal competition. But it was beginning of the end for the iPod. If the iPod Nano 5G became available again I would buy it but ONLY IF Apple agreed to support it as iTunes moves forward.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
the product pages have an outdated design when accessed from a desktop browser
Anyone manage to get a screenshot before it was pulled? Seems to me that someone did this on purpose hoping it would be noticed...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
No, a screenshot of the actual product page that was taken down. The article has a link (now broken obviously) but no screenshot.

no it literally has a screenshot. here's a screenshot of the screenshot:

Untitled.png

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
That screenshot is not of the linked product page though. It would list and allow you to choose color, capacity, display some photos/info about the product. Here's the one for the iPod Touch, for example: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipod/ipod-touch

Touché. But the actual page looked so similar to the above that i didn't bother to screenshot it. There were no "options", it was literally just that specific green 6GB ipod mini that was available.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Touché. But the actual page looked so similar to the above that i didn't bother to screenshot it. There were no "options", it was literally just that specific green 6GB ipod mini that was available.
Not according to the article:
For now, the colors listed include Blue, Green, Pink, and Silver, with 4GB or 6GB of storage, indicating these are second-generation models released in February 2005.
[doublepost=1501515275][/doublepost]As it turns out, Internet Archive managed to snapshot the link in this article before it was taken down. Seems you were right. http://web.archive.org/web/20170728134526/https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/product/M9807ZP/A

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.