iPod mini card flash upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gquiring, Dec 18, 2013.

1. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

I bought a iPod mini on eBay to convert to using a CF card. After looking at the pricing on 64gb CF cards it would be cheaper to buy a SD to CF adapter. My question is will the adapters work or do I have to use a CF card?

2. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Wondering the same thing here because I just started fixing ipod minis up as a hobby.If anyone has the answer please help.

3. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

You can use an SD adapter, but it won't work well. I've tried dozens (probably) of different combos of SD cards and adapters, it just seems the iPod really doesn't like them. It locks up at random intervals when using them...

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Probably the reason it doesn't like the adapter is because it has a chip in it.

5. gquiring thread starter macrumors regular

gquiring

I did my first upgrade yesterday. I had a Sandisk Extreme 32gb CF card from my old Canon SLR that I used. The mini that I bought on eBay already had it's battery replaced so getting the top and bottom off was pretty easy. Removing that metal C clip was a bit difficult.

The mini restored easily with the CF card. No issues. I installed this one in my '06 Nissan Murano which has a dedicated iPod interface that shows the menus on the center console display.

I bought another one for $14 on eBay that only shows the Apple logo. I am hoping/assuming it's just the hard drive that is bad.