iPod Mini or iPod Nano 3G?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Jul 7, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

This may sound weird to be deciding between these two, but I have a BIG problem with getting something, then wanting something else and selling the thing I just got for the thing I thought I wanted, only to regret selling the thing I had in the first place, and I never hold onto thins for more than a few months. Anyways, I'm trying to stop doing that (It's hard), and since I sold my iPod Touch I need a new iPod. I don't need anything big, don't want to spend too much, and I've narrowed it down to the Mini or the 3G. I want the mini because it has the option to upgrade the hard drive to CF, but the Nano has color and can play videos. I don't really have that much money, about $120, just enough to buy a Nano, but I want to spend good money because I will be owning it for a while. So my question is, should I get the Mini for $50, or the Nano for $100? Is the Nano worth the $50 extra? One of the reasons I may be leaning towards the Mini is because the Nano is so thin, and I hate having thin devices, like the iPod Touch, because their almost impossible to hold comfortably. Is the Nano easy to hold? Thanks?

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

i would personally go with the nano for the simple fact that you are getting the latest technology with a year warranty-- that just my two cents!

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Now I'm looking at getting the iPod Video, it seems to be the best of both, color screen, thick-ish, and quadruple the storage, only $90. Any thoughts?

4. bstreiff macrumors regular

I've never handled a Nano 3G, but I do have a Mini; I've replaced the battery and swapped out the hard drive for a 16GB CF card, and it's quite nice.

I think it'll depend largely on your usage-- I load mine up with music and play it all on random, so I don't spend a lot of time looking at the screen, so color doesn't really offer me anything. I don't think it'd be too handy to watch videos on such a tiny screen, though playing games might be nice.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

question - why did you sell the touch you had?

not enough space? never used the features? wanted something smaller?

The answers to these questions should help you determine what you want out of your new ipod. IMO, a nano is a great decision because of the size, the video, the appearance, and the warranty. I wouldn't mess with a mini at this point, but that's just me.

6. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I sold the touch for two reasons - one, and more importantly, I wanted to get a BlackBerry since I'm paying for a smartphone plan which I can't get out of and I didn't have a smartphone, so it was a waste, and two, I HATED how thin it was. It was impossible to hold, at least for me. I'm thinking about a Video because the Nano costs $100 and once you're in that price range, why not get an iPod with 4 times the capacity? Plus, I don't really care about size that much, so the logical choice is the video. The irony is, I used to own a video, and now I'm just buying one back, some color, same size.

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

8. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

congrats i used to have one of these unfortently it got stolen i suggest u buy a case when you get it will scratch up with a touch of a finger enjoy!

9. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah I used to own one and my friend owns one, they get like cracks in the plastic sometimes. Luckily for my I saved one of the cases I had from my old Video iPod, so I'll just use that.