Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
Im interested in getting a new 4g Ipod Mini

I mainly need it to carry files to and from work.
I use Win Xp at work
and OSX at home.

will it connect to each properly so i can transfer files from xp
then when im at home and plug it into my g5 will osx recognise the files too.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I'm thinking you would be better off with a cheaper, external hard disk, rather than i mini. The mini will want to sync with itunes, etc.,etc. Its might turn into a mess.

But, if you must know, the mini will work for your purposes. Just know that the iPod drives were not designed to spin for extended periods of time.

EDIT: Remember to plug it into your Windoze box first so that the mini gets formatted into FAT32. I'm sure you know why......

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
To me, it doesn't make sense to use the iPod as a hard drive--it's designed to be a music player first, hard drive second. It sounds like what you really want to do is buy a small, external hard drive like this one to transfer your files and then an iPod Shuffle or iPod Mini to play your music.

P.S. I also saw this hard drive by the same company that's even smaller--and $10 more. But it's still cheaper than the iPod Mini and fits into the palm of your hand.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
i currently have a 5gb version 1 ipod. with its firewire only interface.

I still like to listen to music and be able to comfortable carry it around.
and it would only be to transfer files to and from the drive. it wouldnt be plugged in all the time.

but it sounds like it would work. i think i will buy one.

time to sell my 5gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.