Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I've been road testing an 8GB nano today, but I've discovered an annoying bug.

Turn on shuffle (either from the Settings menu or Shuffle Songs) and play a song. Whilst it's playing turn off shuffle, and when you go back to the Now Playing screen it's borked up and doesn't show the actual song that's playing, but some other random song. There's no album art either.

I can recreate this bug 90% of the time. It's annoying as I like to let the iPod "choose" a song for me via shuffle, but frequently turn shuffle off to allow playing of the next contiguous song in a playlist or album.

I can't believe this bug has slipped through the net, and yes it's there in the new 1.02 firmware. I've tried a full restore and that doesn't fix it.

Can anyone else recreate this bug on a 2G nano?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I wish I had a new nano to recreate it...unfortunately I don't.

I'm curious to find out if it is a standard thing though.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I got that too, but the song it goes back to is not "some random song" but the 1st song of the album you are currently listening, which makes the bug not THAT bad.
I never do that though, so I don't care :)

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
maxi said:
I got that too, but the song it goes back to is not "some random song" but the 1st song of the album you are currently listening, which makes the bug not THAT bad.
I never do that though, so I don't care :)

It doesn't do that for me :confused: - it's a random song.

Just to reiterate - the song that's currently playing doesn't change, but the song information does, and you get a white box where the album art should be. It's weird and pretty ****** for such basic functionality not to work properly.

I searched the Apple discussion forums and here for other reports but didn't find any. I'll submit a bug report to Apple.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
archurban said:
well, my 4GB 2G nano doesn't do that. it's only 8GB model's isolated bug or not?

That's very interesting, thanks. Can anyone else with a 2GB or 4GB 2G nano confirm this?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I just tried this on a 5G 30GB iPod (with latest firmware) and it works as it should - currently playing song info doesn't change when you turn off shuffle.

Does anyone know how to downgrade the firmware on 2G nanos?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Blimey, there are a few other bugs with the 2G nanos. No-one seems to be reporting them here but on iLounge they are.

There's a problem with on-the-go playlists not working, a podcast skipping problem, sleep problems and now this shuffle bug I've discovered :(

Roll on the next firmware update...

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
is it also 8GB nano problem? or including other capacity? I don't know. but as far as I say, I have no problem, excepting no memorized 'last played playlist' when I connect with mac. the list is just disappeared. I strongly believe that it's a bug. for on-the-go list? I don't have problem. even during hooking up with mac, I can see that particular list on itunes as well. skipping podcast? I didn't hear it yet. what kind of sleeping issue? is it like being white screen when you press clickwheel?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Mine's at 1.02 too.

The bug occurs 90% of the time you turn shuffle off and go back to the Now Playing screen. If you try it again and it doesn't happen I'll take mine back to the Apple Store and see if the display models are doing it.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Me1000 said:
I tried it several times, but havnt been able to do it!

There's something wrong with your nano then! :D

I can confirm from my own testing that this bug shows up in all 2G nano firmware versions so far (1.0, 1.0.1 and 1.0.2), and all models 2GB, 4GB and 8GB.

Not a huge deal, but a poor show when basic music playing functionality doesn't work properly.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
New 1.1 Firmware...

...doesn't fix this bug.

Gah! Come on Apple pull your collective fingers out and fix this please!

Hopefully it's sorted some more important bugs than this, but I'm deflated after the hope of installing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.