iPod Nano 2nd generation question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jessica08, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Jessica08, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016

Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

I'm hoping someone can help me here. My Nano will not charge. I use it in my vehicle with my aftermarket stereo, which is suppose to charge it will it is playing. I give it a full charge periodically, which the last time was after Christmas. It didn't start playing when I cranked my vehicle so when I checked it, it says I need to connect it to a power source that there is no battery power remaining. I have been having problems off and on with it, but I thought it was the cheap cord I bought to use with it. I have it plugged in an outlet, but it's not doing anything. Is there a way to change the battery? Does that sound like what it is?

TIA

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

For what it's worth I would just buy a new iPod nano. That device is going on 10 years old. I still use my second gen Nano now and then for fun :)

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does your computer see it? Have you tried cleaning the dock on the iPod?

4. Jessica08 thread starter macrumors regular

Jessica08

It did when I updated the songs back in December. I haven't tried it since I saw this message. I haven't cleaned the dock, but I will to see if it helps.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2016 ---
    Haha. I figured that's where I'm heading. I have a newer nano that I use in my other vehicle (which my mother happened to drop in her glass of orange juice while on vacation. It now has a fuzzy screen, but still works like a charm). This one goes in my Jeep, which is a rough ride so I don't care if it bounces around so much since it is old. That's why I was hoping to avoid buying a new one.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Could be the battery. If you mainly use it plugged in though it shouldn't even need a battery since the cable will supply power to it.

6. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

The battery is quite easy to replace. The tricky part is opening the ends up and sliding the motherboard out. Youtube videos help a lot. I bought a replacement battery and upgraded the 4GB internal HDD to a 64GB CF card for my Nano 2nd Gen and now it has great battery life.

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Are you sure you're not talking about the iPod Mini? All of the nano series used flash-style memory chips soldered onto the board.

8. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365