Ipod Nano 3G vs. 4G

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukoson, Sep 22, 2008.

1. lukoson macrumors member

I noticed that the 3G ipods are down to $99 for a 8GB refurb. Do you think the new 4Gs are worth the extra $50 for the same amount of GB? I know that the new ones come in lots of pretty colors and use can tilt them on their side for cover flow but are there other good reasons to spend the extra $50? thanks for the help in deciding.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

In your title and post you should say iPod Nano 3G and iPod Nano 4G; I barely had any idea what you were talking about.

It all depends on what you like.
    Do you like the 3G or 4G design?
    Do you like the accelorometer?
    Do you like widescreen viewing as oppose to full screen viewing?
    What do you and do you not like about the new and old models?

Pros and cons people, think.

3. elpenguino macrumors member

With the 4G you get the cover flow, accelerometer, and genius: those aren't exactly earth-shattering changes in my opinion. As far as the screen goes, the 3G and 4G screen are exactly the same, just one is horizontal and the other vertical. The two are essentially the same under the hood; you're just paying more for a cosmetic change, plus some bells and whistles.

Save some money and buy yourself a nice pair of headphones.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

only reason to buy the 4G is because you can get a 16GB version. that's what i want. if you go for the 8GB version i would buy the old one. seriously, how often are you using coverflow, genius and shuffle? if you really want those features spend the extra 50 bucks. if not save the money for good headphones.

5. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

if your going to watch a lot of videos then the 4G is the sure solution.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

A vote for the accelerometer! If you think it's cool on the iPhone, wait till you play with it on the nano. Ooooo. Dreamy!

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

why? they both have the exact same screen.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I beg to differ.
    I have a feeling that the 4G screen just a little bit longer than the 3G screen.
    And this is straight from iLounge, the 3G screen has a kinda purple contrast and the 4G screen has a kinda blue contrast (it might be visa versa, I can't remember).

I think that he was implying that the 4G might be better for videos because it comes in a 16GB model so there's more room to put videos on.

9. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

i'd go for the 4g. it's the newest with the latest features, and aesthetically i think it looks better/would fit better in a pocket or on my hip while running

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's definitely not. I have a 3G and a 4G and the screen is exactly the same size, same aspect ratio and same resolution. There are some minor colour differences but nothing you can really see unless you hold the up together.

If anything I find it easier to watch video on my 3G because you don't need to rotate it.

I prefer the audio interface on the 4G with the big album art but video playback was more intuitive on the 3G.

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I say if 16gb doesn't matter to you, go for an 8gb.

If the 8gb 4g is cheaper than the 8gb 3g, or vice versa, go for the cheaper.

Use the money you saved for nicer headphones. You just do not get the full iPod experience with the standard headphones. I went from standard (never really liked them), to Bose In-Ear (I loved them at the time), to my current Shure SE-210s which are just plain amazing! Go for the cheapest you need and spend your money WISELY on earphones. You will not regret this decision. The extra $50 you put into the player will be out dated in a year, but the $50 you put into headphones will last much longer. I had two iPods in the time I had my Bose earbuds, and never regretted the decision.

12. Amt macrumors regular

I'd go with the 4th generation iPod nano if I were you. The extra $50 is worth it. You get accelerometer cover flow, and a cooler design, IMO.

13. jdusoccer12 macrumors regular

I would go with the 4G because off the accelerometer and because of the new headphones with the volume and playback controls so you don't have to keep getting the ipod out of your pocket.

14. yrael macrumors newbie

For me, I liked watching videos more on the 3G, since it was nicer to hold in my palm. I thought that the click wheel was a bunch more annoying though, since they shrunk it down.

That fifty buck difference is pretty intense. Buying the old version for that cheap would be worth it for me. The only reason I'd want the new one is for the purple colored one. or that orange man.

Maybe the best would be to see which one you like holding more, and which one you'd drop less?

Not to mention that if you got a case for the older one, it would be cheaper since it's not the current gen.