Ipod Nano 4G Dies Immediatly When Unplugged

Discussion in 'iPod' started by heavenlyblade, May 5, 2009.

  1. heavenlyblade macrumors newbie

    Sep 2, 2008
    Hey everyone, My friend gave me an ipod the other day (Yay!). Here's the story: His grandmother spilled water while watering plants and unintentionally set his ipod in the puddle -overnight. He thought it was dead because it wouldn't boot. I brought it home, plugged it in and it worked perfectly as long as it was plugged in. As soon as it was unplugged, it would die. Black screen and no waking it up. Now my question is: Has this battery waved it's last good bye, or is it a short somewhere on the board?

    After booting into Diagnostic Mode, I looked up Battery information. (Diag Ver: 5 1.0d203)

    Power>BatteryA2D> Voltage: 4050mV

    This Ipod has no more warranty as far as I'm aware, and I doubt Apple would cover water damage anyway. All insights are appreciated, even if they are declaring how big of a noob I am.
  2. heavenlyblade thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 2, 2008
    Update: After charging the ipod for the past 3 hours, the battery is full. I have restarted it and it is still fully charged, however it will not run unplugged.
  3. Montserrat macrumors regular

    Jun 10, 2004
    If it is still functional, perhaps you could try one of the commercial battery replacement services - might lose a few dollars, but might gain an iPod. Certainly sounds like a battery problem.

    Alternatively try to get hold of a kit and do it yourself and have a look for any corrosion anywhere else

    Best I can think of!
  4. heavenlyblade thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 2, 2008
    Anyone know how to open one up? I'm going to go ask a local phone shop if they can do it, the owner seems pretty good.
  5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030


    Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    There are how-tos all over for dismantling all makes of iPods to replace the battery.

    Google is your friend.
  6. JediExterm macrumors newbie

    May 19, 2009
    Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except I have an 80gb Ipod Classic that was wet for a day or two. I've tried plenty of things all over the internet to get it to work, and I got it to work and charge once, but after I had run down the charge, I tried to charge it again to no avail. Now I am stuck with the same exact problem as you.
    What I want to know, is if that battery replacement worked? If so please let me know, so that I can get mine fixed :)
  7. heavenlyblade thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 2, 2008
    My dad is going to have a friend repair it. sorry for not being able to help. Personally i think there is just a circuit that is coroded.

Share This Page