iPod nano accelerometer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Timeraner, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Timeraner macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (Nintendo DSi; Opera/507; U; en-US))

I believe I'm the first to discover this; the new iPod nano w/touch DOES have an accelerometer. If you hold down the -volume, sleep, and +volume, in that order, and hold, you will get the Diagnosis screen found in all the other iPod models. Navigate with +/-, select with sleep. The very last option: "accel". Choose it, and move your iPod to a level surface. Move it, the values change correspondingly.

and Apple said there was only a pedometer! Those money-bag liars only want you to buy an iPod touch. or iPhone. or iPad.

2. BrennerM macrumors regular

3. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

grrr, dumb me. lol well, I figured out how to get to the diagnosis screen.

*awkward* I fudged that up lol. I just read all of the pages about how it doesn't have an accelerometor, therfore doesn't rotate automatically. I would say that they chose this because nano is for exercising and that could mess up the orientation.... or because of lacking screen size.

4. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

Wait, could you quote where they show that? I can't find it... although it may be in my face, unknowingly.

EDIT: Sure enough. DOH!

5. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

All the accelerometer feature is for is "shake to shuffle" nothing too exciting :)

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm pretty sure the pedometer is just a function of the accelerometer anyway....

7. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

If that is the case, Apple SURRRRE waisted a lot of hardware for said feature, seeing as it verrrrry acurately measures it's orientation.

THIS MUST BE HACKED! >:D

8. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

If said feature was solely for pedometer/shuffle, they should have.. no, WOULD have used a cheaper piece of hardware, such as those found in plain pedometers.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Maybe it was cheaper since they have the accelerometer in almost everything (I think even in the macbooks to sense if you dropped it).

They probably get a really good deal from whoever it is that sells them (or have a ton lieing around they can use).

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Get rid of the shake to shuffle then and put built-in Nike+. I don't want a dongle on a Nano to go running.

11. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

Discovery

I may not have 'discovered' the accelerometer, I *did* discover the diagnosis screen, along with DFU mode - a first for a non-iOS device. This is definitely something worth discussing...

Post all new replies to the appropriate new thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1015272

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not quite the 2G iPod Nano - 5G Nano also have a DFU mode.

13. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

Ehh... correct AND incorrect.
    The older generation iPods did NOT have a DFU mode in terms of this context. (The current gen is 6th, anyways..) Direct Firmware Upgrade, in terms of iOS devices, is modifying the devices firmware WITHOUT any firmware or GUI running, so as to bypass errors that may be software-related. If there is ANYTHING on-screen when 'this' happens, it is not DFU.

14. Timeraner thread starter macrumors member

PLEASE POST ANY AND ALL REPLIES ON THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED THREAD, NOT HERE.