Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H3li0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Hello All,

I've just got my 4GB Nano and I am loving it. After spending a few hours listening to it (about 4 hours) my battery indicator was already marking half of it. Is that normal ???

:confused:

H

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I used to get about 9 hours tops. factors that drain battery life include: rate the music is encoded, backlight, volume, searching through the playlist.

betbest1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
/dev/null
dan-o-mac said:
I used to get about 9 hours tops. factors that drain battery life include: rate the music is encoded, backlight, volume, searching through the playlist.
And using custom EQ settings (set in iTunes).

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Several things can affect battery life:

Skipping songs a lot can drain the battery very quickly.
Using the EQ
High bitrate songs (for example, if your iPod is full of 256kpbs MP3s its battery will drain double as fast).

From experiences at work (an applecentre) if you press play and leave your fully charged iPod to go through all its tracks without skipping or touching the unit you can expect at least 14 hours. I have seen nano's play for 16. I would say anything in the range of 8-12 is normal for every day use. This is not a problem with iPods - devices like original walkmans, portable CD players, other brands of MP3 players often give the full rated playback time. I had a Sony Minidisk player that quoted 8 hours playback from its rechargeable battery - I only ever got 2 hours from it. The standard in this industry is under optimum conditions and doesn't allow for a huge amount of user interaction.

As others have indicated the battery meter isn't always accurate. They tend to go down fast to begin with, then the 1/2 or 2/3rds falls more slowly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.