Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5mac updates with claims that sort out some of the mixed signals arriving these past two weeks surrounding upcoming versions of the iPod.

9to5mac had earlier posted a mockup of what was felt to be a next generation iPod which showed a shorter proportioned iPod. While met with some skepticism, a later ThinkSecret report corroborated the dimensions ("in some ways more resemble a BlackBerry") and confirmed that the leaked iPod interface videos would be used.

This latest report now claims that the mockup of the shorter iPod is in fact a mockup for the iPod Nano, and not the "full size" iPod as suggested. They also claim the leaked interface videos are for this upcoming Nano.
It will be about two inches square and play video (so technically we were right about being the new video iPods). It is coming in 4GB and 8GB size and will likely keep the same pricing. These little square machines are also coming in a new set of colors for all of us sick of the five already out.
This leaves room on for a high end iPod config, which is said to be a "phoneless iPhone" that many have been waiting for.

Article Link

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Would you pay $299 for this thing at 4GB and $399 at 8Gb? Apple thinks you will.

This makes me nervous, because it's referring to the iPod Touch.

100-120gb, plz.

edit: Interesting, they edited that and removed the capacities. Ah well.

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
2" square for the whole thing? That means about 1.5" for the screen? Kinda small for video. Even the ipod video screen is a bit too small...
I'm spoiled by my iphone I guess.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
My iPod is up for sale on eBay at the moment to help fund my 'travels' for the next 9 months.

So I hope I will still be able to a lot of $ for my £ when I'm in the USA next year.

A new iPod Nano or 'Touchcreen' iPod. Woot!

:D

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
If it's ever coming out, 9to5mac would be getting a little call from Apple Legal.

I'm pretty sure that describing hardware/software is not on the same level as posting pictures/video belonging to Apple.

And that mockup is, well...a bad mockup.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Not impressed- 299 for 4 gig, 399 for 8 gig... Jobs taken to smoking crack again?

Wonder what the new colors will be.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
A Nano that plays video at the same price point would be perfect for me. I don't use that much storage space. Actually add and internal speaker to it and it would be perfect.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
While we're in speculation-land I'll note that I just don't see an iPod as a phone-less iPhone happening. At best I see the new iPod having touch controls and the basic iPod-in-the-iPhone interface, but I'll go on record as saying there is no way in hell it will have wi-fi, safari, or anything of that sort. Apple will release lower cost iPhones to hit that demographic, but not higher-end iPods.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
I don't buy an August 7th release date. iPod's almost always get updated in the September/October timeframe.

Not to mention the buy a mac get a free iPod promotion that runs through September 16th.

Guarantee we won't see a new iPod until at least September 17th.

shunpike

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2006
Oxford, UK
No way... nano's are never going 2 b like that the form factor is 2 good at the moment. plus who would want to watch a film on a device whoch would only store a couple and show them on a screen smaller than 2" square? this is very un-apple!

I vote tht this is pure speculation and should be ignored.

However i do think that the videos were real and i love them!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Phoneless iPhone with a hard drive? My biggest complaint with my 60GB 5G is that I'm out of space for all the stuff I want to keep there...

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Huh, what does this have to with iPhone?>

Wow, why is this on the site?
I come to Macrumors for iPhone news and rumors.

Weird, what is this iPod thing you're talking about anyway?

:D

Kidding...

Revolutionary

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
I don't buy an August 7th release date. iPod's almost always get updated in the September/October timeframe.

Not to mention the buy a mac get a free iPod promotion that runs through September 16th.

Guarantee we won't see a new iPod until at least September 17th.

Nope, they'll simply exclude the new iPod part numbers from the rebate, thus making them ineligible.

Cfour

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
That's possibly the worst mockup I have ever seen. Must of taken all of 30 seconds in PS.
Apple would never pass that off.
Better luck next time.

Cfour

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
That's possibly the worst mockup I have ever seen. Must of taken all of 30 seconds in PS.
Apple would never pass that off.
Better luck next time.

Cfour

I'm pretty sure they said themselves that it was a really, really quick mockup just for the sake of proportions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.