Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well that certainly was fast!! wasn't expecting this for maybe another week... or few days at least.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
WAIT!!!!
HOLDUP!!!
That's a Microdrive.... Microdrives aren't flash based...

SOMEBODY CALL 911!!!!

EDIT: Now i'm really confused... is the second player not an iPod nano?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
pdpfilms said:
WAIT!!!!
HOLDUP!!!
That's a Microdrive.... Microdrives aren't flash based...

SOMEBODY CALL 911!!!!

EDIT: Now i'm really confused... is the second player not an iPod nano?

It's a comparison to the mini. So no, the second is a mini, believe me I've been inside one already.
I'm surprised how basic it is on the inside.

NOTES:
-battery makes it elongated.
-like the shuffle, the nano uses a daughter-card for memory.
-memory is being supplied by Samsung.
-battery has been in production for about a month.
-battery is Li-ion polymer like the original ipod.
-USB2 only transfers.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
-USB2 only transfers.

whhhaaaattt.... u serious?!?

aight the best thing in my sit is firewire. passing that USB1.1 is my only option. do you mean to say my computer is obsolete?!? i need to buy a new comp just so i can transfer music to an ipod nano?!? screw that im gettin a shuffle. stuff the screen.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Daveway said:
-USB2 only transfers.

Steve said something to the effect of "the nano is compatible with the universe of iPod accessories". Surely the Dock<->FireWire cable is an iPod accessory!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nermal said:
Steve said something to the effect of "the nano is compatible with the universe of iPod accessories". Surely the Dock<->FireWire cable is an iPod accessory!

hm i dunno about that. one of the photos says the its not compatible with Firewire.

this is strange. why not FireWire? is it too powerful for the wee Nano i wonder, those delicate flash chips and all.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Might be wrong here, but isn't USB 2 backwards compatible with USB 1, you just don't get the transfer speeds from the original drivers is all....

Still, who'd want to transfer 4Gb at USB 1 speeds? :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Scarlet Fever said:
whhhaaaattt.... u serious?!?

aight the best thing in my sit is firewire. passing that USB1.1 is my only option. do you mean to say my computer is obsolete?!? i need to buy a new comp just so i can transfer music to an ipod nano?!? screw that im gettin a shuffle. stuff the screen.

It will still work, USB2 devices work fine in USB1.1 ports, they are just slow. You can get a USB2 card for like $15-20 if you have an open PCI slot. Otherwise you are gonna be stuck with slower transfer speeds or no nano.

Ok, to the subject at hans, that was fast. Those weren't supposed to be in store until today at the earliest, it must be either a demo model or snagged off the line or something!

The battery looks a lot like several cell phone batteries I have seen. I'm not saying it is the same as anything else out there, just that it looks very similiar is size and shape.

The interior, is as commented, amazingly simple and clean. Too bad the battery is soldered in there. I am really suprised that Apple would do that, considering all the hullabalu about their batteries being non user repalceable, etc etc. Other than that it looks like it would be easy to swap the battery out, much moreso than the mini was. (That's assuming the case is moderately easy to open and reseal). At least the solder points look fairly large and somewhat isolated on the end of the board. Won't be TOO bad of a job replacing it.

Hm, unless there is a connector on the battery itself? I can't really see in any of those pics... it doesn't look like in this pic, but I could be wrong. I suppose that replacement bettery kits cuold have you cut the wires close to the battery and splice in, but I wouldn't trust that around all those electronics and in such a tight space.

Might be wrong here, but isn't USB 2 backwards compatible with USB 1, you just don't get the transfer speeds from the original drivers is all....

Still, who'd want to transfer 4Gb at USB 1 speeds?

It's actually not THAT bad. I mean, the initial sync will suck, but after that there is a good chance that MOST people will only be swapping between half and one gig at any given sync. At a realistic sustained transfer rate of 1.5 mBYTE per second for USB1.1 you can swap a full gig out in 10-11 minutes, not great, but not horrible. After the initial 45-50 minute load up, you only need 5-10 min to adjust what you are carrying with you.

Also, on most PCs the USB2 transfer rates are only abotu 10% lower than FW400. The crappy USB2 performance on most Macs is not indicitive of USB2's potential. For moving 4gbs of data USB2 is more than enough on a PC, and tolerable on a Mac. (See barefeats.com - a Mac testing site - for some numbers on USB vs FW).

Wow, I'm wordy this morning. Anyways, thanks for the link, that was indeed impressively fast!

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
i don't get it, what prevents you from just using an old firewire iPod connector, it uses the same pin that the bottom...aren't they saying it just doesn't come with USB 2.0...as for the shuffle, of course it would only be USB 2.0, it is in essence a thumbdrive... :p

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Nermal said:

It's been stated in numerous on-line articles that it's not compatable with the Photo Connector so I imagine there are a number of accessories that do not work :(

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
good the photo connector is trash, it's dead slow.

also it may be usb only because flash drives have the usb controller built in, ever seen a firewire jump drive?

ruud

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2004
rockthecasbah said:
i don't get it, what prevents you from just using an old firewire iPod connector, it uses the same pin that the bottom

the fact that there's no hardware/firmware on the ipod nano to do anything useful with the firewire. so yes, you can physically hook it up, and probably even charge the nano, but if the electronics on the nano don't support firewire, it simply won't work. there's a lot more to it than simply making the connector fit.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
rockthecasbah said:
i don't get it, what prevents you from just using an old firewire iPod connector, it uses the same pin that the bottom...aren't they saying it just doesn't come with USB 2.0...as for the shuffle, of course it would only be USB 2.0, it is in essence a thumbdrive... :p

Look at the pictures in the dissection link... specifically this one. Read what the screen on the nano says. They left out the FW bridge completely. You can charge it from the 5v line (or is it 3.3?) on a FW cable, but thats it.

They probably did this for space and cost reasons. I am guessing that they used the same chips/circuitry/design from the shuffle for data transfers AND HOPING they did for audio playback as well; the shuffle sounds so very good.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
mrgreen4242 said:
Look at the pictures in the dissection link... specifically this one.
I was looking more at that battery warning. Who's going to read that? It essentially means you shouldn't keep the nano in a locked car in the summer, or else you risk an explosion at the worst and severely shortened battery life at the best.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Lacero said:
I was looking more at that battery warning. Who's going to read that? It essentially means you shouldn't keep the nano in a locked car in the summer, or else you risk an explosion at the worst and severely shortened battery life at the best.

yeah you know my car gets up to 140F quite easily :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
yeah you know my car gets up to 140F quite easily :rolleyes:

I bet it does, parked in the summer sun with the windows closed. See here. They say that on a 90f day your car can get up to 150F within an hour.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mrgreen4242 said:
I bet it does, parked in the summer sun with the windows closed. See here. They say that on a 90f day your car can get up to 150F within an hour.

thanks for the link, interesting.... ill have to think about this one, but for the most part it hardly reaches that high around here, although this summer was an exception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.