Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which product do you think Apple will update first?

• Mac Mini

Votes: 298 68.7%
  • iPod Nano

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • iPod HiFi

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • MacBook

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • iMac

Votes: 43 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ddubbo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
The only the reason I'm still with a PC, that I need a good, cheap modular machine.
I'm waiting for Mac mini which will be comparable to any good low-end computer:
At least 80 GB 7200 RPM drive, 1GB RAM, 128 MB video card. With leopard included it'll be a good deal for 600$.

djpl

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2007
Would be cool if they dumped the 2GB Nano entirely and just made the 4GB version $149 and the 8GB $199.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Can the Mini survive?

I find it highly unlikely that with the upcoming release of :apple: TV that there is a massive demand for minis. I, for one, only use my mini as a media server at the moment, and I know quite a few other people do as well.

Is the Mac Mini working as a switching machine for those with screens, keyboards and mice that came with their PCs, or are people simply going for the iMac? It is a great idea, but gone for example are the iSight cameras for Mac Mini users, and the longer it stays as a Core Duo product the more basic it looks and the less it is in line with all the animation built into Leopard.

Too powerful and it steals from the MacPro market, too weak and it loses out to the iMac, too much of a Media Hub and it becomes the Apple TV with DVD player (which makes the Apple TV less appealing). It just doesn't seem to fit in the product line up anymore. I don't know what sales are like but it might be time to knock this product on the head and leave it as a well-loved Mac of days gone by.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
About time for hardware! Apple hasn't updated their computer line in over 4 months!

-=|Mgkwho

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I finally tried the Core Solo version out a few weeks ago. Man, that sucker feels slow compared to all my machines, including my PB 12".
It wouldn't hurt to give the mini a good bump.

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
The Mini, of course.

Of course they're going to update the mini in the next couple of weeks. I Just ordered one on Monday. They released the Intel Mini 6 days after I bought my G4 Mini.:mad:

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
i wanna see an imac update, but i also want to see an software update ;) ;)

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
I'm ready to buy a Mini for my media centre.

But it seems silly to buy now (core Duo) when Leapord and a possibly update are 'due'

I think we might see Core 2 Duo and 'n' spec wireless. I don't think anything else will be touched

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
That sounds good, but now that Apple TV is out, I don't think Apple would like us to use Mac Mini's for this use. I can see them continuing the Mac Mini as is and just upgrade the existing hardware specs. It seems to be doing fine.

Why the h*** not? The mini starts at $599, the AppleTV at $299. Why would Apple care if you buy the Mini instead of the AppleTV?

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I think a C2D mini is inevitable in the next couple of weeks.
They won't wait until Santa Rosa or Leopard and they won't change the form
factor. They'll keep the the mini c2d well after their other offerings
go Santa Rosa to clear their stock of the older processors and chipsets.

I see a very modest bump with the mini. What would be more welcome
than anything is a price drop to get the entry level mini back to $499.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Seeing as my PowerBook packed it in a few days ago (three beeps at startup - something about RAM banks not passing testing), I am looking to a Mac Mini to hold me over until the end of the year when I can get a penryn-based MBP.

The Mac Mini, while perfectly capable at the moment, just doesn't seem worth it and it has been 6 months since it was last updated. Although I don't use 802.11n, it would be useful to have for the future and a C2D would be a little bit better I suppose.

The only thing is, an update needs to happen very soon as I am without a mac right now and I can't post my blog, or add content to my homepage or anything, it's very annoying. However I am adjusting to my mums Toshiba.

I really hope there is an update soon, very soon.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I want one thing from Apple.

Widescreen, touchscreen iPod video.

If Zunes worked with macs, I would consider switching because it has been WAY TOO LONG since there was a meaningful iPod update.

You mean Zune doesn't work with Macs? What about Boot Camp, Parallels?

I too want a new iPod. The hdd crapped out on my 3rd Gen a month and I've been hobbling along with a Shuffle. So here is hoping for a flash based, touch screen iPod with at least 20 GB capacity SOON!

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
i bought my mac mini about 4 weeks ago now, and i love it. i don't care if its updated to better specs, as personally i only bought it to play music on and stuff, and i have a wired network so wireless N inst an issue. i hate it when people say "i bought X only to have it updated two weeks later, I'm so annoyed i didn't wait!" because if you were that disappointed with spec why did you buy it in the first place. also i firmly believe there will be no change in the look of the mac mini, simply because the apple TV looks the same as it so they aren't g going to out-date the styling before apple TV is even shipped!

I'm guessing on an orange ipod nano and maybe longer battery life, its too soon for nano's to be releasing anything major.

It really is time for an iPod update though, i too have had a shuffle for quie a while now since my ipod + nano got obliterated by a screwdriver.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Perhaps it's going to be an even SLIMMER mac mini. That would be sweet. I would pack it in my bag and bring it to work everyday. It would be nice just to get a processor upgrade. I've been holding off so I can install one in my car.

Mix that with EV-DO and I'm vido chatting with grandma at speeds of 60+mph.

:cool:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Personally I don't think we're going to see the 17" iMac anymore or it will be transformed into the first wall-mount multi-touch device.

The Mini's really need speed bumps for sure.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Perhaps it's going to be an even SLIMMER mac mini. That would be sweet. I would pack it in my bag and bring it to work everyday. It would be nice just to get a processor upgrade. I've been holding off so I can install one in my car.

Mix that with EV-DO and I'm vido chatting with grandma at speeds of 60+mph.

:cool:

Slimmer. No. Have you seen the inside. I don't think so.

Personally I don't think we're going to see the 17" iMac anymore or it will be transformed into the first wall-mount multi-touch device.

The Mini's really need speed bumps for sure.

hmm....

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
these updates are EXTREMELY difficult to predict.

almost every suggestion thus far is feasible.

i don't have the slightest idea what apple are about to do... and i love it.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
i just want to marry apple lol!!! Im going to uni in a year and bits time to do computing. just so i can work for apple! :) its odd, im not obbsessive about anything but apple...and guitars...and warez...and my girlfriend...lol

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was just about to lament the fact that a Macbook update might be on the way after "just buying mine" but then I realized I've already been using my black Macbook for almost 2 months... it's amazing how quickly time flies by!

A C2D mini would be nice to see as it could nicely replace my aging G5/1.6 which, since the purchase of the Macbook, has turned into pretty much a fileserver at this point. The drive capacity issues aside, it'd be nice to power it down and cut back on noise and power consumption.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I would like to see a new macmini starting at the old $499 pricing, or even a little cheaper (I know it won't happen) That way I could have a machine for storing all of my music and video's and could share the iTunes list with my other computers. That way I could free up space on my macpro's main hard drive and have a dedicated machine just for media :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.