iPod nano or iPod touch; flipping out!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by 7302473, Sep 10, 2007.

1. 7302473 Suspended

So I pre-ordered a black 8gb iPod Nano off the FutureShop site in Canada but now I am starting to wonder, should I just get the iPod Touch?

I do have small pockets in my jeans but it doesn't appear that much bigger then the 30gb iPod Video. I would love to have a iPod with wifi and 8gb is enough for my music, my only question is how durable is the iPod Touch?

Should I cancel my order for my iPod Nano and get a iPod Touch?

2. Cheesecake macrumors member

That's all really up to what you want to do with your iPod. Do you want to access the internet on the go as well as having the music section, but don't feel like carrying around a Laptop? Want to have the better UI, with newer and more sophisticated technology? Want to wow the crowds of people gathering around you with the tons of extra features?

...If you answered 'Yes!!' to at least two of those questions, you might want to go for the touch.

3. MAW macrumors regular

dude, i literally am going through the same exact thing!!!

i just cancelled my 8gig nano order and , for now, am holding out for the 8gig touch.

i LOVE how small and convenient the nano looks, but i know as soon as i'm in a wifi hot spot i'll be like "dang, for $100 more i could be on macrumors right about now!!"

not to mention i'm absolutely in love with the multi touch UI(after playing with an iphone @ the store).

i know i'd love the nano, but i also know i would eventually buy the touch. so i'm just going straight to it!! :)

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The Nano is pretty sweet if you want a really small iPod that easily fits in your pocket (the shape of the new one makes it fit in a pocket much better than previous generations)but that also plays video. If Wifi is a big deal for you then go for the Touch. Otherwise the Nano is a class act.

5. nirvana06 macrumors regular

why are you ordering from Futureshop anyways? Get it from apple.ca, they will have it before futureshop.

Get the Touch.

6. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

Okay guys!

So I canceled my black 8gb iPod Nano ordered and ordered the 8gb iPod Touch through Future Shop :D

Should ship by October 12th :(

Oh, and the reason I am going through Future Shop is I actually work for Future Shop; no discount on the iPod but I prefer to go through Future Shop cause if anything goes wrong I will be able to take care of it cause i work there :rolleyes:

- Barret

7. nirvana06 macrumors regular

Meh....I'll get mine by 2nd-5th of October the latest. Even if i owned Future Shop i would not order from them because 10 more days is too much, considering I'm already waiting 20+.

8. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Are you aware of all of the discussions about the calendar and contacts being read-only on the touch? I don't know if this matters to you, but Apple ads said that they would be editable, and now they have removed that from their advertisements. It really steams me how they remove features before it is even released. Sounds like we won't really know what the features are until it ships and find a review. I was all ready to pre-order but am not going to based on this.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1118125

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=352859&highlight=ipod+touch

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking...liminates-add-button-from-calendar-297994.php

10. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

I use my LG Chocolate Flip on Telus Mobility for my contacts and calendar.

(I used to use it as an MP3 Player but it sucks using Telus Mobile Music so that's why I need an iPod)

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I am gonna get the touch just because.... iono it's cool.

BUT, after seeing the nano fit in someone's wallet? dude.. awesome.

12. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Just try and remember you are spend 399 for the ipod not the ability to edit the calender. If you want to spend 399 to edit a calender send me the money and I will send you a 500 sheet spiral bound notebook and few pencils to add events and an eraser so you can delete events.

its ok really it just makes it easy to mock you people that are wanting a 399 calender!!! Plus since you and 5 others didnt/cancelled their orders I will get mine faster!! HAHA!

13. mikefly macrumors regular

woo

OP:

If these are going to be stocking stuffers at your X-mas, would you mind inviting me?

For my main gift, I'd like a villa in Spain.

Mike

14. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

I have to ask, Canada is notorious for its lack of free wifi. Where you thinking of using the ipod touch? Or are you just interested in the cool multi touch and not the safari etc.

15. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

A lack of free wifi in Canada?! How is that possible [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Canada has horrible public hotspots; though i have never really taken my laptop out and searched haha. I will more so use the iPod touch for music but I also want wifi at home so i can just check my facebook, email, news, etc without going to my macbook.

16. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

See thats the thing. I hope the ipod touch will change. I wish they have mail and add the ability to change the calendar - which I am sure hackers will get around to it.

Heck! I am a bit skeptical whether Rogers will get the iphone in Canada without ruining it with some expensive data plan.

17. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I was in a similar dilemma, only between the 8GB Touch and the 80GB Classic. Ideally, I would want the 16GB Touch, but I really don't want to spend £269 on a single device, I'd never want to take it out incase I lost/got it stolen!

Anywho, I think I have come to the decision of getting the Touch, it's an extra £40 over the Classic but I think it will be worth it. It will feel like a far more special buy than the Classic as-well which will just seem like "just another iPod".

Infact, I may invest in a 5G or 5.5G 30GB so that I can have my whole library on hand in my backpack...

18. captsapp macrumors newbie

My dilemma is wether to buy an iPhone and switch carriers when my contract is up, or renew my contract and get an iPod Touch. I have absolutely no idea which to do.

19. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I really think, imo, that you should get the touch. Yes the nano is great. And I know the space on the Touch is not Amazing, but think about how much more the touch has to offer..
    -wi-fi
    -wireless itunes
    -video (like the nano)
    -TOUCH SCREEN
    -and a few others, my only downfall about the touch is that you can't control it when not looking at it, its not that big of a deal though.. and its a quarter of an inch thin, your pockets probably arent that small.. I really think that you should cancel your oreder and go for the touch but that is just my opinion....HAPPY BUYING!

-and no, an ipod is not for sufrin the net and youtube...but its an awesome feature and it has it so thats what you should be considering when all these people downtalk the touch and talk about how pointless all of its features are.

20. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

I am seriously the most indecisive person in the world.

So lately i have been thinking about the iPod Touch pre-order I did and how that is a lot of money for 8gb, i don't really need wifi (really no open hotspots in Calgary where I am), I will scratch that thing within 24 hours, etc. I was starting to wonder if I should get the black 8gb iPod Nano; again :p

Yesterday I walked into work, went to the office and my phone went off; my friend was in the store and he sent me a picture message of the new black 8gb iPod Nano and 80gb iPod Classic and said "They are in the store now!". So I left the office and went and looked; sure enough we only had 15 black iPod Nanos and 15 silver iPod Classics.

I grabbed a black iPod Nano right away and I'm not going to lie; I love it!!!! Good price and I love how tiny it is!!!! Cover flow is awesome on it.

- Barret

21. csmitty macrumors regular

Get both

I am. I've already got my 16gb touch. Mainly cuz I was anticipating it so much I had to. Even drove 2hrs to get it. But damn those nanos are sexy. I had a 60gb video and a 2gb 2G nano for a while before i sold the video. Now i think i'm gonna replace the nano with probably the 4GB nano. but knowing me i'll probably get the 8 :rolleyes:. Like the whole time on the drive i said i'd be good and get the 8gb touch, but no. Oh well, the extra space is nice.

Those nanos are sweet though. They keep calling me.

22. MAW macrumors regular

remember me??

post #3??

well, i ended up walking into my local apple store, and as you, flipped out on the nano(black, cuz it's so cool to be monotone). bought it 3 minutes later and haven't looked back. i ***** love it!!! no one @ my work has ceased to be amazed at it's size and functionality(pause for the double entendre:p).

FTR, the deciding factor for me is the price of the touch and its size. if i'm going to cart something around in my pocket that big(pause #2:eek:) then i want it to be able to do more.say, like that phone everyone keeps talking about....the i-something?

anyways, i now have a lovely little video ipod to tide me over 'till my contract w/ sprint runs out.

but then again i'll probably end up buying the touch next week anyways.... will power is overrated!!!:apple:

23. 7302473 thread starter Suspended

rofl! You are so my long lost twin! ;)

I loved it; I walked into my work and after my friend texted me, I walked out, saw it and told the Mobile Audio guy to grab me one right away so I could purchase it; lucky I did cause we only got 15 black 8gb iPod Nanos and 12 silver 80gb iPod Classics and today we were completely sold out of iPods.

And after reading this comment on the PC Magazine review of the iPod Touch, I realized the iPod Touch would be a pain in my skinnies:
    I seriously love my Nano; have so much music on it, 3 videos and a few pics. Everyone at work loves them.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The bottom line is do you need to fondle your toys or not?
    If it is the latter then you know the answer already. Please do not flip out over such decisions...you will encounter bigger decisions in life worth flipping out over. ;)

25. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I already have a 16gb on order but with all this hype I went to best buy today and took a look at the new nano 8gb. It was so sweet that I had to have one so now I will have both.:D