iPod nano resetting by self?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tablo13, Aug 22, 2010.

1. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I don't move the hold button or anything, and sometimes the iPod nano (4th gen) shows the Apple logo and resets. Is it because I press the Menu and center button together? :confused:

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

According to Apple's own User guide -

'To reset iPod nano:
    1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (slide it to HOLD and then back again).
    2. Press and hold the Menu and Center buttons for at least 6 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.'

3. tablo13 thread starter macrumors 65816

tablo13

The problem is I didn't toggle the hold button and it resets.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Oh, oops. That was the only bit off've Apple's help site that I could find that was relevant. Sorry.

5. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Could be the 'toggle' part is simply to ensure people don't try this with the hold activated, or to clear any possibility of it being locked up in some other action.
    A good question would be; how long do you hold the buttons for? As the guide states six seconds..

6. tablo13 thread starter macrumors 65816

tablo13

I guess the hold button means nothing, I pressed menu and center button for 6 seconds and it resetted. But why would I held it that long? :confused:

7. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Was just trying it on my (older) nano; toggle is irrelevant, but requires the six seconds or so.
    If it's happening with a shorter press, I dunno why. The long duration should be enough to prevent accidential resets. If not; use the hold!