Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I am one of those people who gets new iPods every generation, and I have to say, this is my least favorite since the iPod 3rd Gen with the separate touch-buttons.

I am one of those people who gets new iPods every generation, and I have to say, this is my most favorite period.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Good. All 6 Nano owners have a benefit.

This was the stupidest Apple product ever made, because of price alone but also because of how it neutered a product and charged the same for a LOT less.

Actually, the small size IS valuable to many, especially people like me who use it at the gym. (The screen, by the way, makes it worth a heck of a lot more than the iPod shuffle to me.) It's not bad in the car, either, hooked up to my FM transmitter.

I don't see the problem. If you really want an old one, go buy the previous gen refurbished, save your money, and quit complaining--better for us all. :D Otherwise, you probably want a different model.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Double clicking the sleep/wake button? Really? The way these buttons fail so easily they're actually doing that?

The 6th generation nano is the coolest music playing iPod so far. But its also the most prone to failure. I'm on my third one now. If it hadn't died just a couple of weeks passed the return period it would have been returned to the store and not replaced.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
New Nano = Crap

For you. It is small, handy with a incredible little monitor. We sold in our shop more 6G nano than any other iPod in the past. Many uses it like a watch with music.

Madhawk

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Will this thread be nothing but trolling and pointless responses to the trolling?

New Nano still = crap

I had a 5th gen iPod nano for the gym, which was pretty good. But this new nano with the clip thingy is the BEST for someone who needs something with a SCREEN and the the size of a dust particle. :)

New Nano still = crap

This was the stupidest Apple product ever made, because of price alone but also because of how it neutered a product and charged the same for a LOT less.

+ 1

As for people who don't like the new Nano, why are you even interested enough to post ?

New Nano still = crap

For you. It is small, handy with a incredible little monitor.

New Nano still = crap

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
I Have not gotten the new update yet, but could there be a setting that allows you to sort the podcasts the way you want, essentially reverse the current order.

It also now just plays the next podcast on the list after the the one you are listening to is finished - which is annoying to me because if it does that and I don't want to listen to the next podcast, it erases the blue dot as if it has been played in full. They should have left well enough alone.

Have you downloaded the update and been able to find anything for podcast settings because I haven't?

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
New Nano still = crap

Madhawk still = troll

You really want to hear it from us, don't you?

I think the new Nano is perfect for my needs and I love it since the day I bought it. I suggest you found a company to compete with Apple and create a better product, instead of wasting your precious time and mind repeating the same sentence on forums.

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
Madhawk still = troll

You really want to hear it from us, don't you?

I think the new Nano is perfect for my needs and I love it since the day I bought it. I suggest you found a company to compete with Apple and create a better product, instead of wasting your precious time and mind repeating the same sentence on forums.

He acts as if saying the same thing over and over will effect those of us who already have formed an opinion by owning it and enjoying it.

bukalemun

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
He acts as if saying the same thing over and over will effect those of us who already have formed an opinion by owning it and enjoying it.

Well he was nearly succeeding at it. I was going to throw the nano away just because in my head I started to hear voices whispering "nano is crap, nano is craaaap". He is probably using some kind of voodoo magic. :p

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
How about shuffle-by-album, a feature that existed in all the previous iPod nanos, but gone on this 6th gen?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I'd like to see the ability to customize the now playing info button screen.. like be able to list the artist songs instead of album songs if you want.

For a music player I actually dig this release even though I was a naysayer before. Its not too bad navigating with the touch screen since you can pin it where you can see the screen easily.

Definitely needs to be enlarged next version because even with average sized hands I have bumped the wrong portion of the screen a couple of times, I think this would resolve some navigation issues.

Though I must admit I couldn't see anyone actively "pressing" functions on this while running because of its size and the fact it would be pretty hard to hit the right spot when you are moving.

The price point is way off, should be set at least at $150 for 16GB (even that may be considered steep for a device that only plays music now) and the 8GB should be at $100. If they were going to keep the price points where they are now they could have at least thrown in a capacity update. Lets face it though, they are trying to push everyone towards the iPod Touch, I think they'd honestly be better off making this device a TRUE iOS device and enlarging the screen. It could still prove useful for some apps, and more profit for apple.

Anyway, nice update..and really..its about time it gets something since its been almost 6 months since its release. Though I must admit it is probably one of the most stable 1.0 firmwares I've ever seen apple release.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I LOVE my iPod nano. This software upgrade will make it even cooler! Wearing it as a watch attracts all the ladies, and it makes a fine replacement for my battered iPod Mini that lasted throughout all these years.

If you're complaining about the size of the screen, wait until the next generation. I'm putting money on Apple extending the screen again (making it widescreen) and bringing back video.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I just got a chance to install the update today, and it's working nicely. I like double-pressing the sleep button to skip tracks without having to turn on the device and press the ">>" button (which I have actually gotten pretty good at doing without looking--good as I can be on a touch screen, anyway).

I couldn't find this listed anywhere, but the new update also has a fade animation when the background artwork changes between songs. I think the previous version had a sliding transition. Can't say I prefer one over the other, although I think I liked the slide slightly better (but maybe they changed it because it would get "stuck" sometimes if it it was thinking too hard).

Additionally, you now have to wait a few (esimated) milliseconds longer for the display to turn on after pressing the sleep/wake button. This is obviously a consequence of the new double-pressing feature, but it's definitely a noticeable delay. Thankfully, my #1 reason for turning on the display--skipping a song--has now been eliminated as a result of this very change.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I just got a chance to install the update today, and it's working nicely. I like double-pressing the sleep button to skip tracks without having to turn on the device and press the ">>" button (which I have actually gotten pretty good at doing without looking--good as I can be on a touch screen, anyway).

I couldn't find this listed anywhere, but the new update also has a fade animation when the background artwork changes between songs. I think the previous version had a sliding transition. Can't say I prefer one over the other, although I think I liked the slide slightly better (but maybe they changed it because it would get "stuck" sometimes if it it was thinking too hard).

Additionally, you now have to wait a few (esimated) milliseconds longer for the display to turn on after pressing the sleep/wake button. This is obviously a consequence of the new double-pressing feature, but it's definitely a noticeable delay. Thankfully, my #1 reason for turning on the display--skipping a song--has now been eliminated as a result of this very change.

I hope they add that double click to skip track feature to the iPod touch! I know I can use a remote headphone... but it doesn't come with one anymore... and my better sounding ones don't have the dedicated iOS mic and buttons.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I like now that we can turn off the Nano. The only thing I don't like is that it won't save your place with the last thing you were listing to ):

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.