iPod Nano won't turn itself off -> runs down the battery

Discussion in 'iPod' started by downingp, Aug 16, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

My wife has an iPod Nano that she uses. She recently brought it to my attention that her iPod Nano doesn't shut itself off after inactivity. Obviously, this drains her battery and makes it so she has to keep her iPod Nano on the charger the entire time so when she does want to use it, she at least has a full battery.
    I tried doing a restore, but it still doesn't seem to shut itself off. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something else I can try to see if I can get it to turn off?

Thanks for your input in advance

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I've noticed the same thing of my wife's nano, I think it has to do with the buttons being too sensitive, when I try to scroll through her music it's much harder to get it to go to the specific song I want, while I have no problem doing it on mine, and sometimes it will randomly light up like someone hit a button but no one is even near it, so I think it has to do with faulty hardware rather than any firmware which means restoring it won't help, probably have to get it replaced but I'm waiting till Sept. to see what they come out with

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suspect faulty hardware, specifically the battery. Re the battery, I suggest unplugging it, thus, allowing it to run down naturally. Obviously, you can play music on it while doing so. Time how long it takes to do so and make a note of the time taken for all power to drain (I suspect it will fall far short of what it should be); then try to restart it. Again, I suspect that you might not be able to do so.

I don't have a nano, but the batteries of two iPods died; each could not be turned off, which meant a completely dead battery when I stopped trying to permanently recharge them. However, as both were within warranty each, in turn, was replaced without any fuss, which was one of the reasons I became a switcher. If you are within warranty, bring the machine back to an authorised Apple dealer, and ask to have the machine repaired or replaced. Good luck and cheers.