Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Uh, this is an interesting problem that just occurred. I tried using my iPod and it wouldn't turn on. Duh, I'm an idiot, it was because lock was on. I turned off the lock and it still wouldn't turn on. Okay, battery might be dead, even though I JUST unplugged it from my computer from charging. I plug it into my computer and I get zero response. It doesn't turn on at all and the computer fails to realize it is there...

Well ****. I got it when it was first released and it is the iPod nano 3G, 8GB. I was hoping like something like this wouldn't ever happen to my iPod, but I think it might have.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
If you search google there's a way to reset it to factory settings, that might help (probably also tells you how with the included documentation). It'll still be under warranty regardless, so you can take it in for a check-up for free.

From the MacRumors guides:

As with all clickwheel iPods, you can reset this iPod by first toggling the hold switch on and off and then simultaneously pressing the select (center) and menu buttons for approximately 5-10 seconds. This is a common fix should your iPod behave unexpectedly or lock up. Once reset, the iPod should display an Apple logo for a few seconds before showing the main menu. This procedure is similar to rebooting a computer and damages none of your music or data.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
If you search google there's a way to reset it to factory settings, that might help (probably also tells you how with the included documentation). It'll still be under warranty regardless, so you can take it in for a check-up for free.

From the MacRumors guides:

Interesting. It wouldn't respond to anything I would do with it, even when I tried to reset it, but when I tried the "toggle the hold switch then use the reset method" it worked just fine...why thank you my good sir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.