iPod Newbie: How to view folders with iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ArkabaS, Aug 14, 2007.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an 8 GB 2G iPod nano. I like everything about except that iTunes will not sync my hierarchical folder layout to the iPod. I can only sync playlists, but not the folders that house them. This is super annoying for me because I have ~100 playlists that are neatly organized into folders (e.g., Rock > 90's > etc.). Is there any way to sync folders?? The iPod's column style song browser seems perfect for such a folder system.

Thanks.

2. glennp macrumors member

Unfortunately, the answer is the iPod won't show the playlists in folders. I keep waiting an update will come along to add this but, so far, it's been waiting in vain.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

glennp is correct. I, too, look forward to the day with nested playlists.

4. ArkabaS thread starter macrumors member

ArkabaS

Thanks for the replies.

I should have done some Googling before starting this thread. Nested playlist folders are not supported on any iPod despite being present in iTunes since version 5. Plently of people want them, and they could be implemented beautifully, but the iPod engineers have yet to release a firmware update for this. I posted on the Apple support forums and I also wrote a small feedback on the Apple site, but I doubt anyone will read that.

I guess I am going to have to wait in vain together with everyone else.

5. LCyberFox macrumors newbie

One of the reasons why I use Winamp with ml_ipod to sync instead of iTunes. With ml_ipod you can at least set how the songtitles display on the iPod (without affecting the ID3 tags of the songs) with more information than just the song title, so I have mine set to show "<Artist> - <Title> [<Stars>]" - so at least when i'm going down a 100-song playlist, instead of seeing, for example, just :

"Come Away With Me"

I will see

"Norah Jones - Come Away With Me [***]"

(where the 3* is the song rating)

Of course this would only work for Windows users :)

this of course among with tons of other features (ie: sync of smart playlists) -http://mlipod.sourceforge.net -- its bomb

btw, no I have nothing to do with ml_ipod, i'm just a happy user :)

~ L

6. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Yeah, the display features could use some tweaking. It especially is annoying on importing things like recorded books or courses where you have to fix the names that come up on the CDDB because they would never work on the iPod, it wouldn't sort or play in right order. Can't these people learn that you have to use double digits to sort tracks properly because the track name is text and not a number? 1, 10, 2, 20, 21... is not proper sort order! And you usually find out after you've uploaded and go to play it and everything is all screwed up. Oh, to sort DIRECTLY on the iPod!