iPod not playing in one ear :eek:

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Quboid, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Quboid macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I dropped y ipod a few times in the past (not alot, not while playing and in a protectove case), and now, today it just stopped working in the right ear. I don't know what to do :( , i just got new headphones for it and now this!, does anybody have an idea as to how i can fix it or if it is fixable.

When i toggle the headphones plug, it works in the right ear. But i can't live like that. Please tell me this is fixable, a new iPod would be too much for me right now.

regards Qbo

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Have you tried your headphones in another device? Chances are it is those that are at fault not the iPod. If it is the iPod I am sure that Apple will repair it if you give them a call.

3. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, i tried it out on something else, I wou;dn't post if i didn't. I don't live in the US, and there are no local apple stored here.

Any more suggestions?

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

How do the old head phones work. I am still going to assume ti is related to the head phones, unless one of the times you dropped the iPod was the last time you have both working. Some head phones are designed differently. I think that the plug is unable to sit all the way into the input. The cable shield may be blocking it. In that case you would either get no sound or only sound from one side. If the old head phones act the same then it would be the connector on the inside of the ipod connecting the wires to the output. This can be fixed by yourself if you are comfortable getting into an iPod and if your comfortable with a soldering iron. Otherwise there is a lot of places around the internet that you can ship it out to for repair.

5. Quboid thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah its not the headphones, i tried the iPod on my speakers and it is the same problem. I amcorfortable with opening my iPod ( I am a computer engineering student), but not comfortable with soldering iron, but i can ask my electronic teacher if he has time to help me do it. Don't you think it can be jus a contact that is not "making contact", I may just be able to wedge it back into place.

What do you think?

Qbo.

6. Reverov macrumors newbie

If you are sure it's not the headphones it most likely is the headphone jack shorting from the mainboard. You don't want to just jank the jack back into place. It will probably just come back out in a few days. Soldering is not that bad. If you are uncomfortable, ask your professor to oversee your work. There is nothing like learning how to do something on your own. Plus if you manage to mess something up, just de-solder and try over again. If you manage to totally screw up the iPod, donate it or sell it on ebay and buy a new iPod touch or an old refurbished one on the apple site because there will be huge discounts in the next few days (hopefully).

7. Macintoshgeek macrumors member

Mine does the exact same thing now.
    For me if you push up against the headphones on the jack where it meats the ipod. Just push it outward and and it plays in both. I hope that made since.

I hope it works for you too.