iPod now in Recovery Mode - HELP?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheKnowledgeGuy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. TheKnowledgeGuy, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

TheKnowledgeGuy macrumors member

TheKnowledgeGuy

Okay, first thing has got to be first my iPod was just finishing up the update to iOS4.2 with my dazzling new iTunes 10, I have the latest version of Snow Leopard and iPod touch 3rdgen.(before the update, my device was running iOS4.1), and all of a sudden, after iTunes was "waiting for the iPod" the bar which shows under the Apple logo on the iPod wasn't showing progress. So I decided to hold down the home/rounded square button and the lock button at the top to restart my iPod for being a noob. :p Now, according to my iTunes it is in recovery mode(seems like the error message for that hasn't changed for awhile so I feel fine) and it might have unsaved data. My device also shows the icon of iTunes 9(to my surprise) along with the text iTunes, and the USB end of the Sync/Charge cable with an arrow in the shadows pointing upwrds to the iTunes bit.

[​IMG]
    I found a picture of exactly what my screen currently looks like, with the iTunes 9 logo

[​IMG]
    MY SCREENSHOT: In iTunes 10, this message pops up. (I had to take this one myself because the rest have an iTunes 9 logo.

I want to be sure about something:

Before pressing update, I pressed Sync, and I have a new computer, so it was my device's first sync to the computer. Again, to my surprise, the first Sync took 5 seconds compared to my old Powermac running Tiger, which takes an hour to sync two months of data.

So if my iTunes didn't lie to me, my device should be successfully Sync'd. Is it fine to Restore my iPod without losing any data?

Thanks.

Specs worth saying:

Application Version - :apple: iTunes 10.1
    Software Version - :apple: Mac OS X 10.6.5
    Device Info - Almost 1 year old 3rd generation non-jailbroken 32gb :apple: iPod touch using iOS4.1 updating to iOS4.2
    Processor - 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
    Disk Space Left - 1TB
    Hardware - The Newest :apple: iMac, :apple: Mighty Mouse, :apple: Wireless Keyboard, iDevice USB cord(perhaps :apple:)

----

Again, thanks MacRumors and peeps and excuse me for any possible grammar failures or anything which may not apply to your non-Canadian/British English speaking location and/or country. :D

Please ask me questions if it would help me.

---- Ah, crap. ----

I just was pointed out that I was using a partially damaged cable, but I'm sure that is not the case as it worked for everything else. It won't change much now, but I now have it hooked up to a seperate cable.

Small question - is it normal to back up 11-15GB of data in 5-10 seconds with no previous backups?

2. Pabl0 macrumors newbie

Pabl0

Could you download the firmware from here:http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Then save to desktop

And let your ipod open in itunes.. then click 'shift' + restore then choose the firmware.. then wait for it complete..

Walah!!

Hope it helps..

Thanks/
    Pabl0

3. TheKnowledgeGuy, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

TheKnowledgeGuy thread starter macrumors member

TheKnowledgeGuy

Would doing this keep all the data currently stored on my iPod?

4. Pabl0 macrumors newbie

Pabl0

Thats will not happen.. everything is wiping off... if only u have a backup...