iPod now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jwade32, May 12, 2008.

1. jwade32 macrumors newbie

ok so i got my tax rebate check and i've been wanting to get an ipod with it. but i've been seeing rumors of an "update" coming this fall. should i go ahead and get one now or wait? i will be flying cross-country this summer and also a 5 hr drive later on in the summer. i teach/coach so the only other time i would use it is on bus rides to games or working out. right now i have a 1 gb creative and a psp w/ a 2 gb memory card. any advice? also should i get an classic or a touch? i really want a touch but is it worth the extra money/coolness?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Updates to the range are likely coming in September

Why not get a used 5G?

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes the Touch is worth the extra money. However, ti will make you want an iPhone so you can have the internet goodness everywhere instead of just around wifi.

4. jwade32 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies. i'm leaning towards getting a used one for the summer and then possibly getting a new one when the updates come out. and i wish i could get an iphone but i have us cellular and its one of the few providers that work in my area.

5. blk88memorz macrumors newbie

blk88memorz

i have an iPod classic 80GB and i didnt buy a touch beacause of the capacity.
    but maybe you should buy a used one right now and wait till the september updates.
    Also i would prefer an (unlocked) iPhone than the iPod touch.

6. henchosbandito macrumors member

i have an Ipod touch and love it. Echoing what was said about, having the ipod touch really makes me want the iPhone but then i think i have a good enough phone, i would literally just be paying for the convenience of internet everywhere. I would be tempted to wait for the gps version but again moneys issues. I would fully recommend an ipod touch though, they are a good solid machine, and would recommend waiting for the updates, as i would assume the 2.0 software will cost many dollar, but buying a brand spanking new one, the software will come preinstalled. Save some money and wait. If you're that desperate, i really do like the ipod shuffles as well.

7. jwade32 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've heard of "unlocked" phones before especially the iphone. this is probably a stupid question but what does that mean and how can it be done?