Ipod on a long Bus ride.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Skullk, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Skullk macrumors newbie

Skullk

I will be riding a Greyhound from Ca to Colorado next week and I am looking for something to keep my ipod charged while im traveling. (its gonna be a 30hour ride) :eek: I will not have access to a cigarette plug. The only thing that I think will work is one of those battery ones. Just looking for suggestions. I wasn't able to find much info through a search.

I have a ipod 5g.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

holy crap, just take a plane.

sorry, i have nothing useful to add.

3. Skullk thread starter macrumors newbie

Skullk

4. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

planes are one of the safest forms of travel, and when you figure it'll take more like three hours, instead of 30... well, time is money. i'm sure such a short flight could be had for around $50-75.

i would go absolutely nuts on a bus for 30 hours! i go stircrazy on the six hour cross country flight.

5. Skullk thread starter macrumors newbie

Skullk

6. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Get something like the Belkin Ipod Extended Battery..
    thats what i have and it works great...
    20+ of extra battery life.

Good luck with the hell ride.:eek:

7. Skyburning macrumors member

the OP is likely paying around that price..maybe more for his bus ride..a plane ticket would be closer to 300, although it is safer!

8. Skullk thread starter macrumors newbie

Skullk

OKies! I found something that will work. Thanks guys. Im all set.

See you later Arnold!
    CO here I come!

9. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

yikes, i only pay $129 to fly cross-country, JFK to long beach. could go $99 but i need to be able to watch TV, haha.

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Having endured Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur by bus, I have nothing to add other than 30 hour bus-rides are not pleasant! (And that is mammoth understatement.)

The iPod battery life will not be a problem for your trip when you factor in sleep, stops, conversations with other passengers, etc.

Two recommendations though: take a book or two to read and dress comfortably.

Good luck! :)

11. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My iPod classic lasts well over 40 hours on one charge, is the 5G iPod much worse?

13. MYRZ macrumors member

Reminds me of a busride from my hometown in Holland to Barcelona Spain... 2 days (incl. some pauses)... i didn't caught 1 moment of sleep, sitting upstraight, with to little leg-space... men, i thought i died when arrived...

Barcelona still kicked so much @ss though :D

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How bumpy are the roads in southern Thailand/Malaysia? In Vietnam they were pretty damn bumpy but in Bangkok-Trat they were fine. Obviously in the US they will also be pretty smooth.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

The roads were fine - it was the three buses and one pick-up truck that meant I had very little sleep, plus the 'administration' fee that I had to pay the bus firm at 4am in the morning somewhere in southern Thailand that makes it a 'memorable' journey!

(Boy, oh boy, I miss SE Asia... roll on 2010 when I hope to return.)

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ah, I'm guessing you went with a private company. We went with Government buses which don't have those fees.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Try 14 hour international flights. Arg.

Please share what you found.

Depending where in the US you are traveling! :eek:

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There are external battery packs that connect to the iPods USB port and will keep the iPod running for about another 8 hours or so.

I've taken Greyhound from California to Denver a few times, a long ride but very scenic.

Since then, I drive wherever I go. Nothing like driving across the country in my own car and being able to do what I want whenever I want. It's kind of limited on a bus.

Last time I was on a plane was when I won a free trip to California in a contest
    by delivering newspapers as a kid.

19. dona83 macrumors regular

I took a 66 hour bus ride from Vancouver BC to Columbia MO once... that was back in my student days. Never again! 66 hours stuck with sketchy people.... at least in Canada it's common to see middle class people take the Greyhound.

20. Skullk thread starter macrumors newbie

Skullk

So this is what i got..

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-iPod-B...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203572429&sr=1-1

I have Prime so I went with Amazon. There seems to be some confusion in the reviews about it not working with certain ipods. After a little research it seams that "incompatible" just meant that the carrying cases that come with it wont fit/hold some Ipods. Including the 5g that I have. That not being something I really care much about I ordered it up!

Ill give a little post when I reach my destination letting everyone know how well/ or not it worked.

I am taking the bus. It will not be fun. I know this, but I have to leave now and didn't know I was going early enough to order a cheap plane ticket.

-Aaron

21. l4t13 macrumors regular

22. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

it might be ! adventure! you may be the new jack kerouac!! talk to somebody on the bus every so often...;) have fun.;)

23. Skullk thread starter macrumors newbie

Skullk

Looked up some info on Jack Kerouac. Very interesting life that guy had. I don't write much myself, so I don't know if I'll be writing any novels. :p thanks anyways.

T-minus 3 days and im out of here.

24. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

is there breaks? or are u stuck on the bus for 30 hours?

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks for the update.

Please let us know how your trip goes and how well this device works for you.