Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atoothelex

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I'm gonna go to Cedar Point later this summer. I love coasters, but hate the lines. I was gonna bring my iPod classic 160GB to listen to in the lines, but then i thought, "can an iPod withstand the forces of a coaster?" With forces from 0 to a couple G's, will that destroy my HD?

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I'm not sure if it'll destroy the HD outright but it certainly can't be good for the internals to be jostling around like that. You would probably be better off just leaving it on the platform before you get on the ride. I know many people prefer to leave things like glasses, jewelry, etc. with the attendants until the ride is over.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Most roller coaster's have cubbies that you can put your valuables in. And I am pretty sure that a couple G's wouldn't hurt it, but if you are going on any kind of intense roller coaster (5 G's) i would leave it behind.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Never mind if the Gs will destroy the iPod, how about "Will my iPod flying out my pocket destroy someone head!?" :eek:

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
If iPods can survive in space (1,2) then I don't know why being on a roller coaster would hurt them, so as long they aren't subjected to any hard thumps.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
As long as the hard drive is not spinning/powered on i say it will be fine.

I have snow boarded with an iPod, and have gone trail riding on my dirtbike with my iPod.

Now i wouldn't take the iPod to the racetrack. But i think the hard drives can take a good beating.

Which is interesting. Because people's laptop hard drives go out all the time! But i still have an iPod photo from early 2005 that has been dropped dozens of times, fell into the toilet, and stepped on/sat on over and over. Same hard drive. Although the backlight doesnt work anymore. Haha

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Lolzz, the same thing has happened to me.
At the same exact amusement park, Cedar Point.
I love my iPod too much to leave it behind.
Just make sure it is really secure in your pocket and the hard drive isn't spinning.
It also depends on the roller coaster.
Just make sure that you turn it off a few minutes before you get on and put it on hold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.