iPod on iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OneMoreMacUser, Dec 27, 2013.

1. OneMoreMacUser macrumors member

Sense I have just restored my iMac I have been receiving a lot of help and I am very grateful for that! This forum is awesome!

Here is another question, for my iMac (g3 rev. A) I am planning on getting an old classic iPod, With Mac OSX 10.0.3 which iPods would be compatible, because the rev. A doesn't have a firewire port!
    Would a usb to firewire (cable)work? Is there a way to get a firewire port on there (The iMac)? Or am I just going to have to upgrade the OS even more until I can can get support for a USB iPod?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The 3rd and 4th generation iPods would be the oldest that will sync with USB. They won't charge (at least the 3rd gen won't) but they'll at least sync up.

3. OneMoreMacUser thread starter macrumors member

That is correct, but what version of iTunes, or what version OSX would I need for that?
    I read a couple wiki's and they said iPods have minimum operating systems, wouldn't you just need a minimum version of iTunes?

4. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

I think the min os means thats oldest os that the specific iTunes version can work on that support that iPod.

5. OneMoreMacUser thread starter macrumors member

I am not quite sure of that...
    Scroll down to "Models"

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic

This is Wikipedia though, so I don't know if this is 100% accurate.
    It's says the minimum OSX for the first iPod is 10.1, wouldn't it be 10.0?

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

10.1 was released in September 2001, before the iPod was, so it makes sense to be the minimum.