iPod on iPhone Continues to Play.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Patti Jo, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Patti Jo, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

Patti Jo macrumors newbie

New member here. *waves*

I found your forum by Googling this iPhone problem (see above). I saw a topic similar to this posted back in 2008. However, my issue may (or may not) be similar - and I didn't find a similar topic in forum with a more recent date.

I find that whenever my iPhone (3G) is shaken or gently moved, (or even sitting idle on my work desk, for that matter), the iPhone will simply start playing music, and if Im not attentive, continues to play until I find later that the battery is drained.

On occasion, I discover the music playing and I'm able to pause the music... but as time passes, it seems to start up again by itself (again either when gently moved or even not moved).
    ** I've checked main phone setting and definitely have "shake to shuffle" turned off.
    ** I've tried changing setting within iPod feature to select "no repeat" and tried "repeat once" and turned off "Shuffle" feature within iPod... all combinations to no positive result.

:confused: Does anyone know how to stop my iPod on my 3G phone to stop randomly starting?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. Patti Jo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't done much to my iphone 3G (had it since they came out). I think I've updated my OS maybe twice.

What do you mean "restore"? If I do that, will I lose all the apps I've currently loaded on the phone?

Apologies if my reply sounds noobish

4. TomAndrews macrumors member

Restoring is basically deleting everything off the phone, then reloading it all back onto it. In theory, it should sort any problems out. Here's what to do:

1. Plug your phone into your computer
    2. Open iTunes and right click on your phone (on the left hand side under devices)
    3. Press 'back up' and wait for it to back up (may take some time if you don't do it often)
    4. Ensure its backed up by going to preferences (if you're using a mac - not sure what its under if you're on a PC) and then clicking 'devices' and making sure the most current backup is from todays date.
    5. Once thats done, press restore from the summary tab (on your phone settings in iTunes (i.e. press your iPhone from the left hand side)).
    6. If you have only updated your software once or twice, it'll say that you need to update your software, just agree to it all and wait for it to download and install.
    7. After awhile the restore will finish, and it will present you with a couple of options: Restore from backup and something about starting as new.
    8. Press the restore from backup option and select your most recent backup (the one you made earlier).
    9. What it will do now is sync everything from your iTunes to your phone, this may take awhile, so I advise you find something else to do!
    10. Once its done, see if your problem persists, if it does I'd suggest you take it to an Apple store, they maybe able to help you more.

Sorry if any of this is confusing!

5. Patti Jo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tom.
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. I've had Macs in the past, but have a PC atm. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know results.
    :)
    Patti Jo