iPod on Vista Ultimate....

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ddk121, Sep 1, 2007.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Hey!
    I'm a Mac user, but my father has Vista Ultimate on his machine, and he is unable to mount his iPod (Video) to the pc. I have tried to install updates with no success. Any ideas?

2. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

You're running Vista man....not much anyone can do for you. i don't know the answer to your problem though, hopefully someone will.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's possible that if he has memory card readers, etc, the iPod is hiding due to drive assignment problems. If this is the case it's not a Vista (which is so far considerably more reliable than OS X for me) issue - it's an iPod with Windows issue. I've noticed it solely with the iPod in terms of MP3 players, although I've seen the same with cheap & nasty flash drives.

Go into drive management and see if you can spot the iPod. It may be attempting to share a drive letter assignment with another device.

4. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

I forgot to tell you that when I plug the iPod into the computer, a 'Found New Hardware' window will pop-up, and says it needs to install drivers for the device. When I click 'Locate and install drivers', it looks for them, but cannot find them. Any Ideas?

5. iampowermac macrumors newbie

quick answer:
    Dis-install vista, stab the hard drive containing it with a power drill, set it on fire, take a hammer and stomp it into the dust, then put it into a deep fat fryer and fryolate it, then directly put it into the freezer, then take a steamroller and roll over it about twenty-five times, and shoot it with a 0.5 caliber gun.
    Then...
    buy an :apple:
    and DON'T PUT BOOT CAMP ON IT!!!!

6. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Vista works fine, yeesh such dramaqueens.

1st question, did you download and install the latest version of iTunes (which Apple apparently has trouble programming properly)? You might try uninstalling iTunes and then reinstalling. If he has other CD burning software, iTunes often doesn't play nice.

7. beaker26 macrumors member

I don't think iTunes works with 64 bit Vista. So maybe that is the issue, I might be wrong though.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Vista 64-bit should only be installed by people who *need* it.

iTunes is not currently compatible with 64-bit Vista.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301301

However, Microsoft did release a patch to specifically fix iPod-related issues with Vista 64-bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...92-7521-4A6F-BDD2-790EE2612D66&displaylang=en

Update: Sorry. Re-read the thread, updated post accordingly.

If 32-bit, make sure he has iTunes 7.2 and this update from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...12-f518-44ab-a11f-b6aa22525dec&DisplayLang=en.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

or... you could just not post anything if you have nothing to offer.

As for the OPs issues. Is it by chance the 64bit version of Vista. I know that it can't work with the iPhone and would suspect the same with an iPod. If your father has the 32 bit version of windows it should work fine.

10. gco212 macrumors 6502

When I got Vista, I never had to do anything with my iPod. However, it might be that the drive is formatted to Mac, rather than Windows, and Windows isn't compatible with that formatting. Not sure why the software wouldn't run though...

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use iTunes with Vista 64. It works fine with my Nano but won't recognize my iPhone. I have to use my laptop for that. Why won't Apple just write a simple 64 bit driver?