iPod or iPad Mini for small child?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Emet, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Emet macrumors newbie

For a small child ... with the goal of it lasting about 5 years (yes, with an accidental damage plan of some sort).

I've been pondering this for months, our family doesn't have a lot of money but there's a lot of value in our child having an iThing as a holiday gift this year.

Currently he uses our phones often and uses an ancient laptop sometimes. He loves to wander through YouTube (supervised of course but he hasn't ever chosen anything inappropriate so far), do puzzles, watch a movie, do FaceTime, and is getting interested in Garage Band and photos, and we're tired of lugging the DVD player in the car. Yes he's heavily supervised at all times, yes we use parental controls. He also already chooses, entirely on his own, to put down the electronics and build or paint or play outside. I come from a long line of child development experts and educators and feel it's best that he have his own something now, when it's not enough of a novelty to obsess over, and it's just part of everyone's normal life that is moderated.

(is that enough to avoid the "why get that for a child" tirade I see here so often? LOL)

So it's going to happen, I just need to decide on iPod or iPad. I'm almost completely certain a 4th gen iPod is not a good idea, given our desire for longevity. We *will* buy something this year and it does need to last software wise. We're watching the refurbs, price needs to stay under $300.

What are the pros and cons to consider?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

iPod touch of an older generation. Easier to hold and carry around. Make sure you get a seriously heavy duty drop and water resistant case and lock that thing down initially.

They're good toys and tools.

3. st1ngo macrumors member

4. flyersgl macrumors member

I think you will be hard pressed to get that kind of longevity out of any device you buy. My vote, though, is for the mini. The widespread availability of 7" tablets means that I have seen the kids increasingly move to this platform--when I do allow my daughters friends to bring tech over it is always either a mini or a kindle fire. It's small enough to cart around, but versatile enough to be actually useful. The 10 year olds made and edited a movie on it last night, my daughter also can write short school assignments on it.

5. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I too vote for a mini. I have 3 daughters, 5, 4, and 19 months old. In my house we have an iphone, ipad mini, ipod touch 4 (x2) and touch 5 gen. My kids only fight over the ipad and the ipod touch 5g (mostly because it is pink). None of them have issues with holding either, but I think the larger display on the mini makes it easier for them to interact and see what they are doing. I've also found that the ipad specific apps for kids seem to be better visually than the ipod/iphone versions.
    Either way they are both great devices. For longevity though, I would go for a new mini retina.

6. erftbll81 macrumors member

My daughter is 2, she uses our iPhone 5's and can navigate through the phones UI very well. I been thinking about getting her an iPad so she could use some of the toddler interactive learning games that she uses on our iPhones. Would you recommend the mini over an iPad Air?

7. Emet thread starter macrumors newbie

My son is 3, he sometimes uses a larger tablet the size of the Air but he prefers something smaller. I also don't like him having a screen that large, that near his face. I work with several people whose children end up preferring the mini, up to about age 10.

8. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Retina Mini then

If you long for longevity, get the retina iPad mini then. Based on iPad 2's longevity, you may be able to get 4 years with yhe retina mini with A7 processor. The 5th year would be support by apps for your device but no more OS upgrades.

iPad 2 - March 11, 2011 (iOS 4.3 -> iOS 5 -> iOS 6 -> iOS 7 -> iOS 8)

By March, 2014 it would be 3 years since its intro and still running iOS 7 with iOS 8 presumably able to support it making it have support for 4 years of software updates. App devs on the other hand keeps support for at least the previous iOS version even if a newer iOS is out (as evidenced by latest apps that still supports iOS 6 with most features available). 5 years is not hard to imagine.

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Ipad mini same price with Ipod touch 5 and you dont have to buy yourself an adaptor.

Ipod touch ridiculously dont come with one.

10. ForceGhost macrumors regular

ForceGhost

I'd go for the iPad mini personally. Much more longevity.

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius