Ipod or nano: advice on what to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mirc11, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mirc11 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am technologically not so savy, and this is my first ipod. I would love advice!
    I have a choice to get an ipod video 30 GB or an ipod nano (2gb or 8gb). What do people recommend? I dont really understand the difference.

I will use it mainly for songs (of which I dont have too many, max 100), listening to lectures, books, and possibly watching some videos. I have no need for camera use. What do people recommend?

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

If you only have 100 or so songs the iPod Nano would probably be the best idea, I have a black 8GB one, and even with hundreds of songs I only use a fraction of the space :)

It's nice and small (which is a plus for me), and I have no need for more space at the moment, however I'd recommend getting the large 8GB model unless you're short on cash, just in case (more music or better resale).

3. Azzurri15 macrumors member

Nanos can't play videos; however, the 30gig Video Ipod can.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I would recommend for now just getting a refurbished 2gb ipod nano ($109) and then if you decide you really would like to watch videos buy a regular ipod which can play videos. Good luck!

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'll give you a rundown of both and then make my personal suggestion.

The nano is small, easy to use, would fit everything you have right now plus have lots of space left over but it can't show video.

The iPod with video is larger in both size and capacity, is also easy to use and it can show video.

My recommendation to you is a nano. You don't have a very big library so a nano would be a good capacity. Even with lectures, etc you would still have plenty of room to grow, especially with an 8GB one. You can't view videos on it but personally I've never really liked watching videos on my iPod anyway.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The iPod nano is very small and light, you can have it in your pocket and not notice it. Its great for carrying around 100's of songs with you and the battery life is great. I myself have an 8GB black iPod nano that i use when i am in the gym, laying around or driving. I listen to music, pod-casts and audio books and it works great.

The iPod video is larger, thicker and heaver. Its just smaller then a normal cell phone,, but carry much more songs and can play video. I have an 80GB iPod video that i use when i travel, its great for watching movies and tv shows.

When you do decide to pick a model you have to decide if you want to play videos or not, the iPod video is the only one that allows for that. If you decide that you wont watch videos then the nano is the way to go.