iPod Out for non-BMW owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ToddJ, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ToddJ macrumors 6502

I've been intrigued by this 'ipod out' functionality ever since i saw the little demo of it on YouTube....i know it is supposed to work with BMW's, but will it work with other stereos too? i haven't heard any more about it so i assume not....

2. billycuth macrumors 6502a

You can get a dice electronics "ipod out" adapter for certain vehicles including BMW. Depends on your car. A general google search should help. A few companies make a similar solution, Dice is just one I had experience with in my Acura TL.

In my new car (a Mini Cooper) I decided to replace the stock head unit with a Pioneer aftermarker head that had ipod out already built into it. It also has bluetooth built in so I can make handfree calls in the car through my speakers and a separate mic.

3. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

4. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

FM transmitters are really, really, really, really old technology that doesn't work very well at all (usually)

I'm amazed the car industry is sooooooo slow to get into new technology. They didn't even put a auxiliary jack in factory stereos on a regular basis until 2007.

5. PLin macrumors 6502

6. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder what cable that it would use though cause there was someone awhile back who found it in the beta firmware (way before it was officially released) and was able to use it

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/12/iphone-os-4-0-secrets-hidden-ipod-application-hints-at-automobi/

although i don't have a video screen in my car, i would love to just to be able to use the interface on the iphone itself and use the touch screen. The fonts are bigger which is much better for driving...

7. ToddJ thread starter macrumors 6502

has anyone else (other than the guy in the youtube video) found a way to enable it?

8. srexy macrumors 6502a

Excuse the threadjack but what unit did you find for your Cooper? My Clubman's HU looks completely unreplaceable...