iPod output to TV - no interface or Frontrow??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by GregA, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GregA macrumors 65816

Hi.
    I know the 5.5g iPod plays video to your TV... but when you're looking for the video you use the regular iPod interface.

I want to buy the dock with remote and use a Frontrow interface on the TV...

Anyone know if that's what it does with the iPod Classic (or new Nano?)

2. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt its a Frontrow like interface but I would also be interested to know if the new ipods produce some sort of GUI on the TV screen to find your content. But at the present time I don't think anyone knows considering the new dock and new AV cables will not be released for 3 more weeks.

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I'm thinking none of the iPods will display the interface on the TV screen, certainly not Frontrow like... it'd compete against the :apple:TV

EDIT: Then again maybe not, as the :apple:TV is networked and can receive new content as and when it arrives, rather than the iPod, which requires syncing each time. iPod Touch could be different though, with it's Wifi. hmm.

4. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I think the new Front Row interface for Leopard comptes aginst the :apple:TV more then a GUI interface on the iPod-to-tv screen ever would. Considering the new cable is $50 and has a special apple authentication chip in it (Meaning only Apple or any accessory maker that puts up the $$$ can make it) I am hoping it at least puts the iPod interface on the screen. (It was annoying having to get up and look at my iPod to change episodes on the 5G iPods).

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Only if you're watching the Mac or perhaps hooking the Mac to a TV.. not the market the :apple:TV is aimed at.

I see what you're saying, because Apple is forcing you to use their cable, they're effectively charging you for the 'frontrow' experience.

6. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Apple locks TV Out in new iPods, breaks video add-ons

iLounge says it's a no-go with TV Out:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php

"Without disclosing the change to customers, Apple has locked the TV Out feature of the iPod classic and video-capable iPod nano, preventing users from outputting iPod content to their TV sets as has been done in years past. Going to the Videos > Settings menu brings up a TV Out option that is now unresponsive when clicked, showing only the word “off.” When locked, video content will display on the iPod’s screen, but not on your TV or portable display accessory."

7. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

They didn't lock it out, they just moved it from the headphone jack to the dock connector, requiring everyone to purchase new cables.

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

And I think they did that to allow control over DRM video material.

9. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

Possible, doesn't sound very Apple-like to me though. So far, everything seems to indicate that they require some kind of embedded chip in the cable, which means you have to buy an Apple or licensed 3rd party cable.

I guess it's possible there's some sort of Macrovision-esque copy protection in the offical cables, which is why they're forcing only approved cables.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

With for rent movies on the cards, HD TV and movies, protecting DRM is likely important.

There is probably a bandwidth/quality issue that would make component out from the headphone jack impossible.

11. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I do know its impossible to do 480p from the headphone port only 480i.

12. GregA thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, you have to buy the Apple cable.

Technically - they probably don't have the video available through the headphone socket anymore. I tried it and THEN saw the articles saying it's not possible.

Anyway, it looks like they're locking down 3rd party products that took video via the iPod connector too.

13. andrewag macrumors 6502

I guess it's just like how Steve gave the demos - through the iPod connector.

14. takaogui macrumors newbie

help!!!!
    hi, i have a question, i got a classic (coming tomorrow) and today i bought a universal dock (that didn't came with av cable), so, since i already own a product with the chip can i buy a ordinary av cable for ipod or do i need the "official" av cable aswell? (to plug on the dock)
    thanks

15. Shorties macrumors 6502a

From what I understand you need the new cable for it to work.

16. takaogui macrumors newbie

thx :(
    can't believe i paid 40 bucks on a apple dock that didn't even came with a cable, now theres goes another 50 bucks on a cable to make the dock useful :eek:

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Put the Nano in the multimedia dock and this function works fine.