Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
If an iPod (iPod in issue is a 3rd Gen) overheats, will it erase all of its data? I ask because I left my iPod at home when I left for the weekend, it was very hot at home, and when I came back it works fine (has the newest OS on it still) but is blank. I don't know if this is something that happened due to heat, or if my roommate used it and erased it, in which case I will have to hurt him severly as I was using it as an external HD for some things which are now gone and can't be replaced. Do any of you know a way to recover files that were deleted from it? The HD may have been reformated, I don't know, though wouldn't it have gone back to the factory installed OS?

Edit: the calendars are still there, but all my other external HD data and songs are gone . . . . . . .
Excuse me while I go find a large, blunt instrument.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It seems very unlikely to me that overheating would cause the iPod to erase if the unit still worked.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
That's what I was thinking. It worked fine, and still had a charge. And I thought it was off. The day it says it was modified (under info) was a day after I had left, and I think if it had been playing that whole time it would have run out of battery before then.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
I've left my third gen in a car for hours, and it gets a LOT hotter in a car than in a house... I really don't think heat can zero all your data :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.