I've been helping a good friend of mine with a business idea that we're trying to get off the ground soon. I'm doing this in my free time (have a regular day job) and the understanding has always been that if it starts to make money, I'd get a cut. If it started doing really well, I'd consider quitting my job to work on it. We haven't quite gotten to the point of making money yet, but apparently he wanted to thank me for my work so far, so he conspired with my wife and got me a 60 GB iPod Photo. I'm a little bit torn as to what I should do, and let me explain why. I have a 3rd gen 30 GB iPod that's served me well for the last 2 years. My 4800 songs just still fit on it at 160 kbps AAC. I wrote a rant on a blog about how it was dying a month or so ago (which was true) because it kept getting disk errors. After several reformats, disk checks, etc, it would always lock up partway through resyncing with iTunes. One time the iPod database file got corrupted, so all the music was there, but the iPod thought it was empty. I figured it was about done for. So this is obviously where my friend got the idea. Then I reformatted one last time, zeroing out all data, and it began working again. In the last month it's been flawless. I never updated that blog with this new development, so my friend didn't know my iPod was well again... I have several options but I'm torn: I can keep it and start using the new one. Seems like a bit of a waste since the current one is still working and fulfilling my needs now. I also swore up and down in my rant that I'd never buy another iPod until Apple fixes the gap problem. I know probably only 1% of their users even care about it, but it matters a lot to me, and that's the one and only thing that bugs me about the iPod as it currently stands. Using the new one would be giving in and showing Apple that they don't have to have high standards in their products. I can keep it and wait until the old one breaks for good. A little less wasteful (and it means the new one would last that much longer, which is good), but again it also means that much less pressure on Apple to fix the gap problem. Like I said, that means a lot to me... My friend said I could return it and get something else if I want and he'd be fine with that. Ok, maybe I will, but I can't really think of anything else in that price range that I really want right now. Everything I want is either small (lots and lots of CDs on my wishlist) or big (I wouldn't mind a new Power Mac for example... ). I've also felt like returning a gift is a bit disrespectful, even if the person says it's ok. Maybe that's just a hangup of mine. So what would you do in this situation? You already have an iPod that's meeting your needs well, were hoping to hold out for a new generation that fixes things or has new features, but the gift is still pretty darn cool. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite tempted to open the box and play with my new toy - new gadgets are always lots of fun. But with these other considerations in mind - the biggest being that the iPod Photo doesn't fill any currently vacant need - would you still keep it? Thanks for any thoughts!