iPod Photo battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jalagl, May 14, 2008.

1. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Hi all,

The battery in my iPod Photo is no longer able to hold a charge. It completely dies in a little under 3 hours. :(
    I am looking for a battery replacement, and so far am considering these two:

Premium Power Products 616-0183 Photo and 4th Generation Internal Battery for Ipod, which sells for ~$24 at Amazon

and

Newer Technology NuPower High-Capacity 1350mAh Apple iPod Replacement -Internal- Battery Kit ~$25 at OWC

Has anybody had some experience with these type of upgrades? What is your opinion? Is there any other upgrade that you've used that worked fine?
    I am also willing to send my iPod Photo to a battery replacement service, if not outrageously expensive.

2. mosx macrumors 65816

ipodjuice.com has a 1200mAh iPod photo battery for $39.99 with free shipping. They guarantee their batteries for 10 years.

http://www.ipodjuice.com/AB4F1D8928...path=Home+>+iPod+Photo&path=Home+>+iPod+Photo

3. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

4. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I can't say I've used that exact kit, but the tools and instructions in any battery kit are the same and honestly, it is not that hard. The worst you might do is leave it a bit scuffed around where you open it up, but you'd have to really mess up for you to break anything as long as you follow the instructions. Not meaning to sound arrogant in any way, but I did change a battery (successfully) of an iPod while on a moving bus, so it can't be that hard.

Btw, you should look out for a high Mah rating for as low a cost as you can find from a reputable dealer, but all these things are fairly cheap, and you might save $10 max if you shop around.

5. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Thank you for the comment. I think I'll go with the iPod Juice kit.
    After all, me and my two brothers are all engineers, and we've always enjoyed taking things apart. :p

Thanks!! :D

6. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Or you can use apple's out of warranty battery replacement program. It costs $70 and you send them your iPod. They send you what appears to be a brand new iPod of whatever generation you sent in.
    I think that is the best bet especially if your iPod has a fair amount of wear and tear.

7. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

The faq (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/) says that you get a refurbished ipod, same model. I've taken very good care of mine, so I wouldn't risk getting a scratched one.

I've also read stories of people that got a newer model. Is this a fact? How easy would it be for them to get a refurb 40GB iPod Photo at this point? ;)