iPod iPod photo Software Update -- Broken _show_voltage?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Hi Everyone,

I've been using the _show_voltage hack on my iPods from the beginning, first on a 3G 20GB and now on a 60GB photo.

Since updating this iPod to v1.1, though, the _show_voltage hack has stopped working. The file is there, but it's like the iPod just doesn't give a damn.

I haven't tried formatting and restoring the iPod. I might do that tonight. Any other suggestions? Am I the only one seeing this?

Thanks.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
clayjohanson
You're not the only one. But I know not of this "_show_voltage" hack of which you speak, and I ain't gonna be hackin' my iPod anytime soon.
I'm with you. An iPod is like a fine piece of art... I sure as hell wouldn't draw in a smile on the Mona Lisa.

Comment

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Hey, it's not like I'm cracking open the iPod and installing some sort of voltmeter or something. It's a simple software hack that changes the appearance of the battery meter to something infinitely more useful.

Comment

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
ChrisBrightwell said:
Hey, it's not like I'm cracking open the iPod and installing some sort of voltmeter or something. It's a simple software hack that changes the appearance of the battery meter to something infinitely more useful.
Except it apparently doesn't work anymore. :) (Sorry, I'm still not trying it, especially if I don't think it's actually going to work.)

Comment

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
clayjohanson said:
Except it apparently doesn't work anymore. :)
I'm trying to determine if this problem is unique to my iPod. The fact that no one can help confirm or deny that they're having the same problem I am does little more than frustrate me.

(Sorry, I'm still not trying it, especially if I don't think it's actually going to work.)
Suit yourself. There's no harm to be done whatsoever, but suit yourself.

Comment

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
OK, riddle me this, and I'll try it: How do you UNDO the _show_voltage hack once you've enabled it? (I'm looking for the Terminal command line here.) I like my battery meter and I want to be able to switch straight back to it once I've tested the hack.

Comment

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
To introduce the hack:
touch /Volumes/Your_iPod_Name/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

To remove the hack:
rm /Volumes/Your_iPod_Name/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

"touch" creates the file, "rm" removes it.

Thanks.

Comment