Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reykjavik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
I have about 39 gigs of mp3's and a 40 gig iPod, which means I cant fit all my mp3s onto my iPod. What option should I choose? If I choose to let iTunes put what it thinks should be on there, then I get only one playlist (a playlist with every song I own) and no other playlists and cant seem to find a way to add my original playlists.

However, if I choose to update the playlists only and not let iTunes decide, then I get ONLY the playlists and no other artists.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds (like by having iTunes not upload songs I havent listened to in a while)? If not, what would you choose?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
That's kind of what I do...I have about 12gigs of music and a 10gig iPod. I have it add all the playlists I've created personally, and then it also adds every song with a playcount greater than or equal to 1. I have enough songs in my collection that haven't been played to make this work. (They are part of albums I've bought and I don't want to break up the album.) At some point, I may have to go up to "greater than or equal to 2" but I hope to have a new iPod by the time that happens!

reykjavik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
tobefirst said:
That's kind of what I do...I have about 12gigs of music and a 10gig iPod. I have it add all the playlists I've created personally, and then it also adds every song with a playcount greater than or equal to 1. I have enough songs in my collection that haven't been played to make this work. (They are part of albums I've bought and I don't want to break up the album.) At some point, I may have to go up to "greater than or equal to 2" but I hope to have a new iPod by the time that happens!

but how? it only gives me two options: (1) upload everything and no playlists or (2) upload only playlists....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There is also the option to automatically include all songs, but to only include songs with the checkbox checked. You can mass select/unselect checkboxes by using the search tool to identify all the ones you want to choose and then clicking one of the check boxes while pressing Apple. I have more music than my iPod can hold too, and this is what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.