Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Okay, so, about a week ago, while I was @ "nerd camp" my 30GB 5G black iPod broke. As someone tried to start a video it started making a horrible grinding noise and kinda of froze. I then restarted it, and the little dead iPod symbol w/ the support URL came up. I have hunch the grinding noise is probably caused by something interupting the spinning of the HDD... is that a good guess or no? I'm afraid it may have happened b/c of me dropping it (lightly, on carpet, albeit) 3 or 4 days prior to it breaking, but that may not be the case either..... how will Apple probably deal with this? User abuse or will it be covered by warranty?
I'm worried about my iPod. :(
I'll probably take it by the Apple Store on Wednesday... what should I say? :(
Thanks in advance!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It's under warranty, since 5Gs came out in October 2005 and the warranty is a year. They should replace it for you.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
yg17 said:
It's under warranty, since 5Gs came out in October 2005 and the warranty is a year. They should replace it for you.
Yeah, it is under warranty, but.... will they replace it if they think it might have broken because I dropped it? I mean, do you guys think that's probably what happened... and will Apple address that? Thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.