iPod randomly starts upon plugging headphones in...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jake36wi41, Apr 21, 2009.

1. jake36wi41 macrumors member

Anybody else have this problem? I'll plug in headphones or speakers and the first song alphabetically will start playing. Doesn't happen every time, doesn't matter if I've got another app running, will just occasionally randomly start playing. If there's already something "now playing" (but paused) it'll start playing that.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Think it's something that could be taken care of with a restore (just don't want to go through the hassle of reloading music and reorganizing apps.)

That's all, just a weird problem I've been noticing.

2. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

It does that automatically. Which headphones are you using?
    If you are using with microphone, then it does it automatically.
    If not, then it goes automatically...sometimes.
    Well, those happen to me.

3. TheFreshPrince macrumors member

This used to happen to me all the time with my first iPhone and it really annoyed me. Took it to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one. This one doesn't do it much, but it still happens every so often.

I just asked my buddy and he said it has never happened with his iPhone before. Maybe I should go get a nice new one again.;)

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This happened a couple times way back when I had 2.1. It hasn't occurred since. Is this happening a lot? It was a very rare event for me at the time.

5. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

It's happening often enough that it's annoying. And it's not just the standard earbuds that it's happening with, happens if i'm plugging in speakers too. I've actually had it stop a podcast that was playing and switch to music before.

weird stuff

6. newportpaco macrumors member

this happens to me all the time, really annoying if you want to listen to pandora and iPod will turn on and off a lot. Every pair of headphones do it but no docking speakers. I would take it to the apple store to get a new one but I have a small crack on my screen (the problem started before the crack ). Any ideas would be great.

7. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Yes, I have noticed this many times on my iphone. I think it has something to do with static electricity building up on the headphones. When you plug them in, the iPhone mistakes the zap for you clicking on your microphone. I notice that I never have this problem on my old iphod touch, which doesn't accept input from the microphone.

8. ineedamac macrumors 6502

same issues here

I am seeing the same issues. Do you think I could take mine to the AT&T store to get it replaced? There are no Apple stores close to me.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Mine has done this twice in the past day or so. I'm on 3.0b3. It seems like it only does it after I pull the earbds out without pausing the music.

10. jake36wi41 thread starter macrumors member

Do we think it's worth taking to the Genius Bar and seeing what they say? Or is just a freak thing that happens sometimes that I'll have to live with?

Thoughts?

11. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

Thats happened to me a couple of times in the past (before 3.0) i did the same thing, not pausing and pulling the headphones out. Its not happened since though.

12. TheFreshPrince macrumors member

If it is happening all the time and you have a Genius Bar nearby, I say take it in.

It is really annoying when it does it ay. And it always plays the same song! (The first song in your library, alphabetically). I had the Very Best of the Jacksons album in my phone for a while and it would always play "ABC"! Got so sick of it.