iPod refuses to update

Discussion in 'iPod' started by storage, Apr 15, 2007.

1. storage macrumors 6502

I've been trying for weeks to get my iPod to update itself, but everytime I plug it in to the dock I get an error message saying something like (translated from Swedish); "Unable to copy to the disc "iPod". Unable to read from or write to the disc."

I've tried everything I can think of, restoring it with iTunes, reformatting it using the Disk Utility. Nothing has worked. The only way I have been able to update it is to try over and over and over again until it finally updates the few files I want it to.

What can it be that causes it? The iPod is a 30gb 5.5g.

Thanks in advance!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried using a different cable and/or USB port? :)

3. storage thread starter macrumors 6502

That actually worked! I didn't believe it would. It seems Mac's (maybe just mine?) is picky when it comes to which port you plug stuff in to. The same thing happened to my M-Audio Trigger Finger which would only work in one of the three ports (not the same as the iPod would work in).

Sorry for the little "rushed" thread making. I just wanted something to listen to while I was sitting in a hospital waiting room all day today.

Thanks for your reply :).

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. It shouldn't really matter which port you use. What sort of Mac do you have? I know laptops (Mac or otherwise) can sometimes have power issues with their USB and Firewire ports if running from the battery, but this shouldn't affect an iPod unless another device was draining it at the same time. Anyway, I'm glad it's all fixed (kinda) for you now and I hope you weren't in the hospital for anything serious. :)