iPod Sad Face

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kerpow, Dec 6, 2007.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

My 30gb 4G iPod "Photo" has been acting strangely in recent days. On Monday I was skipping in between songs and it locked up. Might have been a Podcast that hadn't fully downloaded/synched. After a hard reset it came back up completely empty, no photos or music on it at all. I did another hard reset and it came up back to normal. Yesterday morning I went to play some music and the screen was completely blank. I assumed I had left it running all night and the battery was run down so I tried to charge it up via USB to my PC at work. Only the battery icon appeared. That evening I hooked it up to the USB plug point charger but it went straight to the Sad Face icon, indicating hard disk failure.

Reading a few blogs and what not, I gave it a firm tap on a table and after a hard reset it came back up perfectly fine.

So I'm guessing things aren't all too well in my iPod. has anyone been through similar scenarios and can give me an idea of what to expect? Is it on its last legs or may I be able to use for for some time?

Its over 2.5 years old and is used at least 2 hours every single day so I wouldn't bemoan Apple if it was packing in. Its certainly had a good life and I'd probably replace it with an iPod Touch but if it is likely to last me a little longer so much the better.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

My 40Gb 4G iPod "dies" like that every 3 - 4 months (usually right when I really need it :rolleyes: ). The diagnostic stuff never shows anything and a sharp tap as it restarts gets the little bugger going for a few more months.
    I really should save for a new iPod but I never do...

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Ack! So brutal. You should pull it apart and reseat the cables on the hard drive instead!

I did this to mine last year, and it hasn't had a single problem since.

4. xxstatic macrumors member

Yes this is one of the things you can "start" with if you are confident in your skill's.
    I bought a 30gb 5th gen for 40$,the hd ribbon cable was half slid out of the zif connector, I reconnected it and has worked like new since.
    You can see if the ipod is subjected to a drop that these can get loose.
    Worst case the hd is shot.