Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
ok, so here's the story, i lent my ipod to a friend for the weekend, when she returned it to me it was so scratched i couldnt' even recognize it, i've already talked to her about it, i'm not going to make her pay for it or anything but it is VERY noticeable, and i was just wondering, i know how apple has great customer service, but do you think that if i complained they might just give me a replacement? i've heard of stranger things happening, just wanted to know you guys' opinions

amholl

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Boston
I had the same thing happene, but i did it myself, lol. but anyways, i bitched about how i was a loyal apple computer owwner and how disspaointed i was, and they finally gave in and gotme a new one.So I'd say 50/50 depending on ur rep

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
amholl said:
I had the same thing happene, but i did it myself, lol. but anyways, i bitched about how i was a loyal apple computer owwner and how disspaointed i was, and they finally gave in and gotme a new one.So I'd say 50/50 depending on ur rep

ok, can i ask how you contacted them? through email or through a direct customer service phone call?

hikingnclimbing

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Gorham, ME
CanadaRAM said:
Hmmm... why would someone allow the person who damaged the item skate, and yet expect the manufacturer to pay for it?

Yeah, that's my reaction. And people wonder why things like iPods cost so much. Even if you do get a new one, it's still going to get scratched. I'd make my friend help out with getting it fixed. Or I wouldn't have lent it to them in the first place, especially without a case.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I don't see how you'd get a replacement. The damage caused to it was your fault - damage on the part of the buyer is not covered in apple's warantees.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I can't understand why you would go through so much trouble to get a replacement on a perfectly functioning iPod ? It's just a bunch of scratches, nothing stays perfect forever, in fact, nothing is ever perfect.

Rich.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
there is a way to get yours fixed! ruin it! thats what some friends of mine have done when theirs have gotten all scarcthed. They put magnets, ruin the harddrive then ship it in, and walla they get a new one back. you didnt hear it from me tough..

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
i can't see Apple replacing it. It's not their fault you lent it out and the person who borrowed it didn't take care of it.

I have an iPod thats almost 2 years old and there isn't a scratch on it. Why don't you spend the $15 and buy a cover for it? It will be the best $$ you ever spent. Let us know if Apple replaces it, if it were me on the other end of your call I would probably laugh and hang up on you when you told me you want a replacement because you scratched your iPod.

Maybe I can listen to my iPod in the rain or the pool and if it dies I can get a new one.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
lozanoj83 said:
there is a way to get yours fixed! ruin it! thats what some friends of mine have done when theirs have gotten all scarcthed. They put magnets, ruin the harddrive then ship it in, and walla they get a new one back. you didnt hear it from me tough..

no offence but that just sounds dumb, wouldn't they know you sabotaged it? and if they did then they wouldn't replace it, it still works fine, but its SOOO screatched i don't want to risk NOT getting another ipod, theres no harm in me trying to call them, they're closed now, so i'll try tomorrow.

as for my friend, i sorta thought she'd have more sense then to put it in her purse with her keys and loose change, but i'm not going to ask her to replace it because she just LOST that purse that was worth about $200 on its own, with all her stuff in it including a digital camera worth over $300, and, beign 17 and all, she doens't have the kind of money to help me pay for a new ipod when the one i have still works fine

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
biohazard6969 said:
no offence but that just sounds dumb, wouldn't they know you sabotaged it? and if they did then they wouldn't replace it, it still works fine, but its SOOO screatched i don't want to risk NOT getting another ipod, theres no harm in me trying to call them, they're closed now, so i'll try tomorrow.

as for my friend, i sorta thought she'd have more sense then to put it in her purse with her keys and loose change, but i'm not going to ask her to replace it because she just LOST that purse that was worth about $200 on its own, with all her stuff in it including a digital camera worth over $300, and, beign 17 and all, she doens't have the kind of money to help me pay for a new ipod when the one i have still works fine

If yours works fine then shut up and use it, stop worrying about the scratches.
Next, buy a case for your ipod, drop your friend, and don't make Apple pay for you making bad decisions to lend your toys out to your obviously careless and spoiled friends. (at 17 I didn't even consider asking for a $200 purse to carry around my $300 camera)

Here you are saying that ruining the ipod is dumb and yet you're asking if apple will replace your scratched ipod? hmm glass houses my friend.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
biohazard6969 said:

Have her buy you a cover for the iPod and you wont see the scratches. If everyone tried to get a new iPod because of scratches then Apple would be out of business.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Boo.

I think that this is YOUR responsbility, not Apple's. I know better than to lend my iPod to anyone who is careless and remind them to be careful when borrowing my things. If someone broke or damaged something of mine, I'd probably make that person pay for it.

You should do the same.

Paragon

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
Before, they were hard to scratch and easy to break. Now, theyre easy to scratch and hard to break. I know which way round I prefer :)

With iPods it's always good to remember, they're not scratches, they're customisation:p

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Years ago when I got the 1st Gen iPod, the thing scratched liked crazy. At first it really disappointed me... then I realized who cares? The scratches add character and don't alter the usability in any major way. There's already enough things to get stressed about; don't worry so much about the scratches.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Brasso took care of iPod scratches... have not tried it myself.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
biohazard6969 said:
ok, so here's the story, i lent my ipod to a friend for the weekend, when she returned it to me it was so scratched i couldnt' even recognize it
Have her buy some of this for you. Then never let her borrow anything again.

zim said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Brasso took care of iPod scratches... have not tried it myself.
Brasso just scratches the rest of the surface away until it's all shiny and smooth again.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
Counterfit said:
Have her buy some of this for you. Then never let her borrow anything again.

Brasso just scratches the rest of the surface away until it's all shiny and smooth again.

i already have that and i can honestly say that it does NOT work. it leaves streaks, and all the scratches are sstill there, i followed all the directions to a "T". i knew it was too good to be true when i heard about it, and it is

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
lozanoj83 said:

lmao... you mean 'voila' perhaps? kinda lame suggestion too imo. >>oh...sorry...yeah i doubt there is any chance of replacement despite amholl's lucky experience. i just ended up wrapping my ipod video in clingfilm to prevent scratches...it may be a good idea to do this if an ipod has to be lent out. ok, it doesn't look great but it's in the sleeve most of the time and accidents happen...keys and loose change kills ipods ;(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.