Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markgodley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Hey,

I ordered a new macbook pro on the 25th aug and estimated delivery is 7th sept. Ipod and apple care have been shipped and will be merged with my macbook pro when its ready.. but my question is... this will be the recent ipod... do you think i could return it for the new one that is *rumoured* to be released 1st sept?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
There is a 14 day return period for all iPods. You should be able to exchange it for the newer one if it is released within that period.

Note that if you are applying for the "back to school free iPod" rebate you will not be eligible for the rebate if you do this though.

Also you might just get lucky and they will ship you the newer gen iPod anyway (unless I misunderstood you about the shipping).

markgodley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
There is a 14 day return period for all iPods. You should be able to exchange it for the newer one if it is released within that period.

Note that if you are applying for the "back to school free iPod" rebate you will not be eligible for the rebate if you do this though.

Also you might just get lucky and they will ship you the newer gen iPod anyway (unless I misunderstood you about the shipping).

Yes i wanted it as part of the rebate.

The shipping is confusing.. i got an email saying my order had been shipped but if i log in and check order on US site it says "Ipod and Apple care" have been shipped by serycan or something and the "macbook" says it hasnt been shipped yet and the shipping is "merge in GB"

here is a screenshot of my order:

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 63

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Yes i wanted it as part of the rebate.

You will not be eligable for the rebate if you return/exchange the iPod. So if you want the iPod for "free" you have to keep the one they send you.

Looking at that screenshot, it shows your iPod is already shipped, and it will arrive in it's own package.

If you still want the next gen iPod when it comes out, they will be happy to exchange your old one for you within the 14 day return window (assuming the new one comes out within that period). You can also return it for a full refund if you do not open the packaging, otherwise a restocking fee will be charged.

So you have a choice, either keep your free one, or exchange it for the new one (which won't be free)

They purposely end the "rebate for free iPod" deals every year right around the time the new iPods come out in sept. It is by design so that they can get rid of old stock and so the new ones still sell really well during the holidays.

markgodley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
You will not be eligable for the rebate if you return/exchange the iPod. So if you want the iPod for "free" you have to keep the one they send you.

Looking at that screenshot, it shows your iPod is already shipped, and it will arrive in it's own package.

If you still want the next gen iPod when it comes out, they will be happy to exchange your old one for you within the 14 day return window (assuming the new one comes out within that period). You can also return it for a full refund if you do not open the packaging, otherwise a restocking fee will be charged.

So you have a choice, either keep your free one, or exchange it for the new one (which won't be free)

They purposely end the "rebate for free iPod" deals every year right around the time the new iPods come out in sept. It is by design so that they can get rid of old stock and so the new ones still sell really well during the holidays.

Ah i see, well it looks like they will all arrive together (i cant even track my item on that courier site?). I might give them a cheeky ring if it hasnt turned up after the event on the 1st and see if they would send me the new one.I wasn't looking to keep it anyway - going to sell it on.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Ah i see, well it looks like they will all arrive together (i cant even track my item on that courier site?). I might give them a cheeky ring if it hasnt turned up after the event on the 1st and see if they would send me the new one.I wasn't looking to keep it anyway - going to sell it on.

They will not give you the new one if one is released. The free iPod is strictly to clear out stock on old models and they always exclude newest models.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
The whole reason for the back to school rebate is to get rid of the older ones. They will not give you the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.