iPod shows up on Mac but not on Windows

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bass93, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bass93 macrumors regular

So I have this second generation iPod Shuffle that I use with my Mac. I'm giving it to a friend that has a Windows computer. She has the most recent version of iTunes. But it will not show up in her iTunes. Windows recognizes it, but not iTuens.

I've talked to Apple Chat and they wouldn't even try helping me. AppleCare did no help either.

Any ideas?

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

i might be wrong but i'm thinking the problem is due to the fact that the Shuffle is formatted for Mac. try if this support article helps.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

what he said...

an ipod formatted for a mac will not show up in itunes on windows, but an ipod formatted for windows will show up in itunes on a mac.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

MacDrive will fix that if you don't like formatting.

5. bass93 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that works for other iPods, but the Shuffle isn't formatted. At least that's what an Apple rep told me

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

huh ?

did you read the article I provided the link to ?

7. njaremka macrumors 6502

well, i just did, and it doesnt really apply to the shuffle.

on second thought, if the ipod does not display in itunes... first make sure it is charged, then follow this - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1481

8. bass93 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, sure did. And as stated by the other user, it doesn't refer to the shuffle. But somehow now it is working. I have no idea why. Maybe it's faulty.

9. njaremka macrumors 6502

if it hadn't been used in a while, its possible the battery was too low. if the battery is dead, the ipod won't be recognised until it has enough charge to power through the connection.

10. bilals macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'd leave it charging awhile if it won't turn on.

If it still works fine on your Mac right now, you could try Apple's iPod Reset Utility. I've used it on plenty of Shuffles that just would not connect with computers or would even appear dead. It must do some funky magic but, whatever it does, it works when iTunes doesn't:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/iPod_Reset_Utility_1_0_3_for_Mac

Of course, it will probably format its drive as a Mac partition but, like regular iPods, this should not affect iTunes on a Windows machine being unable to even recognise it.

Or you could try the Windows version:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/iPod_Reset_Utility_1_0_4_for_Windows